Newspaper Archive of
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
August 4, 2010     Times
PAGE 8     (8 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 8     (8 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
August 4, 2010

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

.mmm.-mstmt-mmm - " .- m"''llllli+J! ....  : -][l.+Jl.] !, I JllltlIlJIlllllIlll, - _ - I . : |!II Christy and [ decided to leave on Monday evening and drive to Peoria so that we didn't have to get up so early On Tue Morning to fly out. We stopped in Lincoln to eat supper and Christy got a phone call that her son Bruce had been in a car accident. He wasn't badly hurt, but" he was taken to Memorial Hospital in Springfield to be checked out. Well we couldn't leave until we kriew for sure how he was, so we went to Springfield to see for ourselves. Fortunately, they thought that he would be OK, so we then left and drove to Peoria to spend the night. We were up early the next morning to catch our plane to E1 Paso, Texas. It was sprinkling a little as we left, but nothing serious. After changing planes in Dallas-Fort Worth airport, we continued on to El Paso, getting there about noon their time. We picked up our car, and then drove to our hotel and checked in. We ate lunch at a Mexican restaurant and then decided that we would drive to the White Sand National Park in New Mexico. This was about 1 & 1/2 hours away. About 60 miles outside of E1 Paso we came to a Border Patrol checkpoint. All vehicles must stop at this checkpoint. We were asked if we were .US Citizens and then they looked inside the car to make sure that no one was hiding in it. Then we continued on our way. The White Sands Park is the largest i+++:+i+)+: + +; +++,:+ ......... +-i: + :+ i+:i++:il 7/+++i i area in the world of white sand. It is just like small hills of sand every- where. We drove thru the park on their 8-mile scenic drive, enjoying the drive and all of the white sand dunes. We drove back to E1 Paso and out hotel. After arriving at the hotel, we found that there was,a casino that would come and pick us up and bring us back to the hotel after we were done playing. So off we go to the casino for a couple of hours, then back to the hotel for the night. It has been a long day and we are tired. Wed. morn we just took our time getting up and eating breakfast. We decided that we would drive to Carlsbad Caverns for the day. Again about 60 miles outside of El Paso we came upon another Border Patrol checkpoint. We arrived at the caverns and went down inside to walk around. It took us about 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours to walk around the caverns. It was nice and cool inside and the caverns are awesome to see Bowling Trip 2010 | hose, which was about a half-hour drive south of E1 Paso. This restau- -rarer is on a working ranch and con- siss of 46 square miles. It is a very well known restaurant in the area, and the food is wonderful. They also have available hayrides, banquet rooms, petting zoo, child play area and lots of animals to see. Driving back to E1 Paso we ran into some rain. Thursday we bowl in the morning, so we left for the Conven- tion Center. This year USBC is run- ning the bowling tournament from the convention center. Before, we have always bowled in local bowling centers, but starting this year and in future years we will be bowling in convention centers. USBC comes into the convention centers and sets up 40 bowling lanes and all the electronic equipment for scoring and we bowl. They have decided to do this so that the local bowling centers can still have their regular leagues and the National Tournacnent will not disturb them. It is a new concept and proved to be very interesting. Christy and I - neither one bowled any good. We just hope that tomor- row will be better. Back to the hotel to change clothes, then we took a drive on the scenic route. This is a road that goes up to the edge of the Mt. base and gives you a lookout over the city in all directions. It was a beautiful drive. Went to eat supper and then drove around E1 Paso. Friday morning we had a leisurely morning before going to the conven- tion center to bowl again. Christy bowled pretty well, but I didl't do a thing. Just showed up. When we got done bowling, we were met at the convention center by a young man that was going to give us a tour of the downtown area, road for about 3-4 miles. The Pecan farm had a shop along the road, so we had to stop and buy some of their goodies. This route also took us thr .some of the agricultural area of New Mexico and Texas. We decided that we would like to go back to the Cattlemen's Steak- house to eat, so we drove there and had another great meal. We then drove back to the hotel and caught the shuttle and went to the casino for a couple of hours. Sunday morning we are up early because we are flying to San Antonio for a few days to see Dan and Debbie Leimbach. Dan picked us up at the airport, and on the way back to their house we stopped and ate a Mexican lunch. Debbie was sleeping as she had worked the night before and was working again Sunday night. She was just getting up when we arrived at their house, so we got to visit with her before she went to work. Dan took us for a drive and showed us around the area where they lived and then we went to a good Bar-B-Q place and ate supper. Then back to the house for a leisurely evening. Monday morn we let Debbie sleep in until .about noon, ate lunch and then drove to downtown San Anto- nio and went to the Alamo. It was really hot and humid today. Leaving there we did the River walk Boat ride and also the River walk. Dan and Robert met up with us and we ate at a restaurant on the river walk. This is such a beauti- ful area with lots of people milling around. Even on such a hot evening, there.-were people every where. On the way home it rained pretty hard for awhile, but by the tittle we got back to the Leimbach's it had not rained. STEVE HAHN took the photo of the completed roof of the Mt. Pulaski Methodist Church. Himself being in construction, Steve said it was a great roofing job. He added the change inthe pitch of the roof over the entry would improve shedding rain and snow. STEVE HAHN took this photo of a storm front moving in July 21. Steve had just left the orthopedic office. Photo taken at Old Jacksonville Road and Koke Mills. FBI building at left. Channel 20 News rated it as "Just awesome". by bicycle called a PEDICAB. He was riding a bicycle and Christy and I were riding in a two-passenger cart hooked on to the bicycle. He drove us around for about half-hour telling us about different areas of El Paso. This young man has been doing this for about 3 years. He is in really good shape and enjoys meet- ing people doing this. He has four other guys working for him doing this same thing. We really enjoyed this tour. He took us back to our hotel where we changed clothes and then drove up to the base of the Franklin Mountains to ride a gondola up to the top and watch the sun set. It is really pretty up there and we could see Mexico and most of E1 Paso. As the sun was setting in the west, the moon was coming up in the east. They said that they don get to see. that all of the time. Drove around E1 Paso and ate a late supper before turning in for the night. Some ()f our trips around E1 Paso took us a little too close to the Mexican borcler for Christy, but we did OK. Sat. morning we drove up to Mesilla, which is an old western town, near Las Cruz, New Mexico. It Tuesday morning we drove to Johnson City for a look at LBJ's hometown. We went to the visitors center and watched a short film on LBJ and Lady Bird Johnson. We then toured his boyhood home, and the homestead of his Grandparents. We then ate lunch before driving out to his ranch. At the ranch, we saw the school- house attended and the Family Cemetery, took pictures of LBJ and Lady Birds tombstones, and then drove around the ranch, ending up at the Texas White House. We took a tour of the ranch house, saw some of the cars that they both. like to drive and just looked around the area. While we were in the ranch house, it stai-ted to rain again, this time pretty hard, so we got a little wet when we came out. Leaving there, we drove to the Wild Flower farm just down the road a ways. We looked around the gift shop and then out to the plants that were on sale. Leaving there we drove back to San Antonio, met up with Dan and Robert, and ate supper before going back to the house for an evening of visiting. We have had a great time here anci also on the whole trip. But now all good things must come to an end. Yes-, Wed. morning ANNETTE HAHN took this photo of a double rainbow in Tuscola Saturday night Jly 24. You may have seen it in its colorful glory on Channel 17 recently. o !@#$%^ Computer By Mike Lakin For the last 8 - 9 years I have used the same pro- grams to produce all aspects of the newspaper. I knew the programs so well, I could almost produce the paper blindfolded. That is, until Wed. July 28 when my world collapsed. My old iMac had its foibles. But I knew them well. and walk in. They have walkways 'had lots Of little shops and was just all around the inside and lights on a quaint little town. some of the more impressive areas. On leaving there, we took a back When we got tip to the top again, road on our way back to E1 Paso. we decided to eat a sandwich before There was a Pecan farm on this driving back to El Paso. On the way route and it made for a beautiful back we decided that we would go peaceful drive. The pecan trees along eat supper at the Cattlemen's Steak- the road formed a canopy over the A man and his son went to .church. and when they came out the man was complaining that the service was too long. Finally the little boy said, "Daddy, I thought it was pretty good for a dime." we are flying out early and heading And, about four times a year I'd erase my hard drive back home. Had a good flight and and reload and go on my. merry way. About the first of arrived home safely. July I noticed that my computer would start up with Next year we will be going to Syra- the wrong day (1/10/!904 - yes that is the year 1904) cuse, New York. and time. I'd re-set the error, restart the computer and all was good. A daily inconvenience, "but hey.,. I knew Submitted by - Lorene StoU my programs. But I guess an 8-9 year old harddrive will die. I had backup files on separate media. But those backups were all f6r an "old" operating system. One not readily recognizable on newer iMacs. I have spent days opening and updating each and every single file to oper- ate,on a new system. But the paper is out and a lesson has been learned. 8 I..* I.. o0 e Ix3 Ix3 O IIF00I "l, lllll I1' ' G, il+,'+]'!7111I [711111 I-II1i111[1[ II l 1+I11,tl 1 tltl II!I ,I I1, IlIIl Jill-I11 l' +-"  FIMI1Tt[[Tlllilll ,17] f! IIUF7 tltl I,ITI1.11tiiT[T qlllllrllTfltlliltll