Newspaper Archive of
Times
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
Lyft
July 13, 1961     Times
PAGE 48     (48 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 48     (48 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 13, 1961
 

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




iii, 'iiii/ --SIL-TENNIAL EDITION (Times.News, Mr. Pulaski, IlL) THURSDAY, JULY I$, 1961 WOMAN'S CLUB ORGANIZED HERE IN 1929; AN ACTIVE ORGANIZATION Mrs. Lorah Lipp [men of the club have always en- First President; Gave Library The Mount Pulaski Woman's Club was organized in i929. A group of women met at the home of Mrs. George Rupp in the late summer of 1929, with the 17th district president, Mrs. Nata- lie Pegram of Lincoln; Mrs. J. A. Patton of Atlanta, county pres- ident, and Mrs.-Frank Woland of Beason, to discuss the for- mation of a club. An organization meeting later resulted in Mrs. Lorah Z. Lipp be- ing elected president; Mrs. G. F. Wait, vice-president; Mrs. Paul E. Beidler, secretary, and Mrs. John Hershey as treasurer. Mrs. Lipp was president for the first three years, and attended ever)' county, district, and state convention during that time that she might learn the fundamentals of running the club in the proper manner. The club has had many active units during the years. Art study was interesting to many over a period of years, and a very suc- cessful art show was held in 1939. A club chorus first under the direction oI Mrs. Lipp and later Mrs. George S. Connelly as di- rector, had many concerts, and gave added pleasure to many pro- grams. The Woman's Club had the only recognition of the Centennial year, 1936, when they sponsor- ed a pageant at the high school. Mrs. Paul Beidler was president of the club and with the execu- tive board started interest in do- ing something to commemorate the Centennial. Gene Clear must be given much credit for cooper- ating with the club in this pro- ject. The Garden Club has flourish- ed through the years and has caused many to beautify their home grounds. At one time the club sponsored the planting of roses all over the town. Trees were planted in the square in 1937, and today afford excellent shade for those who enjoy sit- ting in the park. The Garden Club has promoted the planting of pink petunias for the Sil-Ten- nial year to give an attractive bit of color to the landscape. There have been flower shows almost every year that were note- worthy. This Sil-Tennial year will enjoy one on Friday, July 28, 1961, and will be especialy inter- enting. 150 tulip bulbs were plant- ed on library grounds. A book club, under the de- partment of Literature, has flour- ished and has many interested members. The Girl Scouts were first or- ganized and sponsored by the Woman's Club, during the term of bliss Sciota B. Horn, 1937-38. The club is still vitally interest- cd in the welIare of the Scouts. In the second World War, bonds were sold by the club members as well as purchased by them. There was knitting and sewing for the Red Cross, as well as quilt- ing and sewing for Bundles for Britain. The club has sent a high school student to music camp each year. The first one during Mrs. Ellis Downing's term (1945-1948). And this Sil-Tennial year Miss Sue Ingrain is the lucky one. The club entered the commun- ity achievement contest sponsor- ed by the Sears, Roebuck & Co and received a citation. The County Elementary Teach- ers' scholarship is supported by the local club and Jim Romer en- joyed receiving one of the schol- arships. Landscaping of the Library ground was another project of the club, as well as tree plant- ing in the city park in southwest part, of town. The club supports many pro- jects, Red Cross, Polio Fund, Vet- erans' Administration Service, Christmas Baskets, and any oth- er project that may come up. The federation projects include an Indian Scholarship to which the club has shown much inter. est. The many department chair. deavored to bring educational pro- grams to the club. For the past few years the club has sponsored the Heart Fund Drive and has been quite successful. The officers and members have taken a great interest in the Sil- Fennial and was the first or- ganization in town to select a Sil-Tennial Lady, giving Mrs. Paul Beidler the honor of repre- senting them. The first meeting of 1961 in January, was a public- ity program dealing in ways and means to publicize the Sil-Ten- nial year. In March, 1961, the county convention was held here and Sil-Tennial theme was used to publicize the year. In April the club was hostess to the 17th district convention, and the mem- bers wore their Sil-Tennial cos- tumes and attracted much inter- est from the visitors. The club will always be grate- ful to Mrs. Lorah 7_, Lipp, their first president, for so generously providing a permanent meeting place in the Muldoon Memorial Building. Present officers of the club, in 1961, are: President: Mrs. Eugene Kret. zinger. Vice.President: Mrs. Robert Wurth. Secretary: Mrs. Elmer Schaffe- nacker. Treasurer: Mrs. C. E. Hildreth. Former Presidenfs Of Woman's Club Organize in 1948 The Former Presidents of the Mount Pulaski Woman's Club, formed a club in 1948. The first meeting was in May of that year at the home of Mrs. G. F. Wait and the second meeting at the home of Miss Sciota Horn in Dec. of 1948. On Jan. 29, 1949, at the home of Mrs. Paul Beidler, Mrs. Wait was elected president with Mrs. Paul Gruber, secretary-treasurer. It was planned to meet the fourth Saturday of each month of the club year with a picnic dur- ing the summer. Each member to entertain in order of their term of office. These rules are still in use in 1961. This Club through the years has raised money for many pro- jeers to improve the club room in Muldoon Memorial Building. A- mong those accomplishments were buying chairs for club room having cabinets built in kitchen. Purchase ol folding screens, tea cart, dining tables and chairs buffet, tea and coffee service with two service pitchers. Two coffee urns, glass plates and cups; al- so electric clock and lace table cloth. $80.00 was paid toward new piano. Two recent purchases were a new light fixture over tea table and a door mirror near coat racks. The current president is always invited to the meetings and the former presidents are always willing to help if sho has a pro- blem to solve. This club promotes all things for the good of the community and endeavers to keep the mem- ory of Mrs. Lorah Z. Lipp, our beneIactor, fresh in the minds of all club members. Initial membership included: Mrs. G. F. Wait, Mrs. Paul E. Beidler, Miss Seiota Horn, Mrs. Wilbur Stoll, Mrs. Paul A. Grub- er, Mrs. Henry Christensen, Mrs. George Underhill, Mrs. Ellis Downing, Mrs. L. L. Hargis, Mrs. Oswald Brooker and Mrs. George Connelly. Present membership includes the above with the exceptions of Mrs. Underhill, Mrs. Christensen, and Mrs. Connely, plus Mrs. Ed. ward Ruwe, Mrs. William Myriek, Mrs. A. J. Lyons, Mrs. Herbert Shellhammer, Mrs. George Volle, Mrs. Merritt Williams and Mrs. Elmer Sehaffenaeker. Mrs. Eugene Kretzinger is the current president and is always a guest of this club. Jr. Woman's Club Organized in 1934 The formation of a Junior Wo- man's Club in Mount Pulaski was sponsored by the Senior Wo- man's Club in 1934 with 24 chart- er members. Preliminary plans were made at an organization mt, eting held at the home of Mrs. Florence Ob- camp, president of the Woman's Club. At an organization meeting the following officers were elected: President: Geraldine Wible Vice-Pres.: Mary June Barnes Secretary: Helen Brooker Treasurer: Cerese Glose Historian: Lucy Jane Ellis Publicity Manager: Jean Wible with assistants, Vera Gasaway, Dorothy Curtis and Bertha McVey. Telephone Committee: Emagene Buckles and Jessie Ruth Myrick. The first board meeting was held at the home of Geraldine Wible with the various chairmen appointed: Public Welfare: Georgiann Zim. mermann; Literature, Jane Und- erhill; Publicity, Jean Wible; So- cial, Jean Hahn. Mrs. Dolph Stan. ley was the choice for adviser, to be assisted by Mrs. Charles Ey, Mrs. Ward Harper and Mrs. Wil. helm Kautz. The Mount Pulaski Jr. Woman's Club has always been a very civ- ic-minded and active organization Their object thru united efforts is to promote the welfare of our community. During the past years they have sponsored the Brownies, contribut- ed to the support of Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts. They, with the cooperation of the Park Board sponsor a Hallo- we'en Party each year for the school children of the community They give a $300.00 Scholarship each year to a local high school graduate attending nursing school or college for elementary educa. tion. They have been very active in the "Clean-up, Dress-up" cam- paign preparing for the 1961 Sil- Tennial Celebration. The club received a citation from the General Federatign of Vomen's Clubs and the Sears, Roebuck Foundation in commun. fly achievement contest. President: Mrs. Miriam Johnson Vice-Pres.: Mrs. Nancy Dittus Secretary: Mrs. Treasurer: Mrs. Doris FORMER P Geri Zimmermann Bernice Laughery Dorothy Bender Georgiabelle Messinger Virginia Broerman, the year Virginia Jackson Marcella French Betty Hickey Dorothy Ralph Rhoda Walker Bettie Taylor Shirley Allspach Mary K. Milligan Cozetta Slack Dorothy Myrick Audrey Werntz Betty Sams Eileen Froehlich Jean E. Haynes Lucille Kelly Joan Wolf - r Isabello SchaffenacRC Pauline Rothwell Dorothy Brooker Jeanette McVey Carolyn Buckles Joyee Scroggin Pearle Jo Richnor Miriam Johnson Looking Forward To The Future As one of the youngest members of our city's business communitY we look forward to the future and our place m the Mount Pulasll Tomorrow. In the short time we have been here, we have tried to make o stores the finest possible. We pledge to continue to offer the be,, merchandise possible in both our ladies apparel shop and our roe store. uIl* As Mount Pulaski celebrates its SiI-Tennial, we take this oPprt.'.oe ity to say Thank You for your patronage and to congratulate our It city on its 125 years. HUSTON & PAOLONE LADIES' APPAREL MEN'S