Newspaper Archive of
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
July 13, 1961     Times
PAGE 47     (47 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
PAGE 47     (47 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 13, 1961

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.

S!sfers ;.'00anizafion Years Ago (Aug. 10, 1933) thru some personal her mother, recently, Potter, living west of laski, and daughter ot of this city, discov- clipping con- organization of the Lodge in Mount ing the month of 40 years ago, which of much interest our older citizens: Lodge No. 21." evening, Aug. 12, Instituted the "Golden No. 21," of Pythian organization at pres- 22 sisters -. chart- and 18 Pythian bro- rary functionaries. which brooded body and gave from the "Clov- er the Pythian Ill., under the of Mrs. Jennie Haws, Grand Chief of Illi- the organization, offices were filled Chief, Mard Most Excellent Sen. Lushbaugh; Most ruler, Mrs. Katie of Temple, Manager of Elva Lucas; Pro- Miss Lizzie Guard of Temple, la Vonderlieth; Past Anna Eminger; M of Menta Field. officers above nam- numbers on the Vonderlieth, Mrs. Miss Huck, Mrs. as, Mrs. Lyde Hunter, Schafer, Miss Anna • Mary Vettex, Miss er, Miss Anna Mayer, Mrs. Belle Charlotte Fowler Fryer• members are: A. George W. Von- Starz, George A. George Field, Fred W. Meist- Zah, Irvin Eming- John Vetter, Oscar W. May- S. B. Fryer, John F. Myers. Phonograph Ente00ained uni00/ Sil-Tennial time is to mind many to write about. ese interesting events mity was the fact of this commun- years, took great the latest inven- not surprising that invented the talk- were eager to in operation had the first and from his Washington St., a "concert" each benefit of every in those horse and WOuld drive up on and listen to the as Mr. Schick program. people living who will re- lick and his talk- invented the he was having batteries to run Capps, who at- the old Logan in the Mount who inter- invention of a run the talking l to be a big Mr. Capps, the Pulaskian, was sum of for his idea. Of perfected the as POssible. Any- an interesting ML Pulaski ---SIL.TENNIAL EDITION (TImu.News, Mr. Pulaski, 111.) THURSDAY, jULY 15, 11161 PYTHIAN SISTERS OF YESTERYEAR. Fourth Row, left to right: Bertha Hook Lipp, Clara Schafer Jenner, Nellie Wilson Laughery, Nora Addleman Clark, Celia Mayer. Third ROW: Anna Schafer Boyd, Ada Suedmeier, Elizabeth Zah, Mary B. Fryer, Minnie Meis- ter, Katie Miller Vonderlieth. Second Row: Anna Schafer, Mrs. Henry Schafer, Elva Lucas, Mrs. Otis, Mrs. Goodwin, Maude Staf- ford Hook, Mrs. George Mayer. First Row: Emma Shinneman Summerville, Emma Hook Myers, Mrs. Katie Lushbaugh, Mrs. E. E. Eminger, Viola Addleman Brown• SPRING FURNISHED NEEDED WATER FOR EARLY SETTLERS OF TOWN Indians, Pioneers, And Later Residenls, Depended On Spring (March 11, 1937) It will be of interest to every Mount Pulaskian, all form res- idents born here, or who ever liv- ed in the city, to know that the "Old Spring" is a thing of the past• This source of supply of good water was located on South Spring Street, two blocks west of the southwest corner of the square, and four blocks south. The use of the water was dis- continued several months ago, and during the past few weeks the pump was taken out of the well and the platform and equip- ment around it taken away. The well was located just west of the middle of the street, and since the street is to be made a part of the state aid route through the city, it was necessary to say finis to this old landmark• Water from this spring has[ been used from the very begin- ning of Mount Pulaski, 100 years ago, or in 1836, when Jabez Capps ] came to this hill from Springfield I and founded the new town. Mr. Capps and family were the first settlers to get their water from this bubbling spring, and had to carry it to their log home on the west side of the public square. As others began to locate here, they also obtained water at the spring, and before wells were dug and cisterns made these pioneers would take their washings down the hill to the spring and carry on their work in the water that formed the little stream that flowed to the west. Old timers often told the story of how women were fright-i ened by wolves in the neighbor. hood and would have protection while taking care of their wash. ings. As the years rolled by a pump was placed there, and people would stop to drink this excep- tionally good water. For a great many years, people would drive their stock to the spring, and for a long time horse troughs were placed on the platform and the driver would stop and pump war. er for the animals. With the corn. ing of the new fangled contrap. tions, the automobile, there was less use for the old spring well, and many people almost com- pletely forgot about it; and with the march of time it now is added to things that long served a useful purpose, but was no longer needed. This spring undoubtedly furn- ished a good supply of water to the Indians and to wild game years before Mount Pulaski came into existence. WPA workers are now busy grading South Spring street to the city limits in preparation for the placing of gravel• The gravel road on the south enters on this street, then it will be improved to Jefferson, then east 3 blocks to Vine Street, then will con- nect with the pavement• Ernest Beck Won World's Rodeo Championship (Oct. 28, 1937) Ernest Beck, of Mount Pulaski, Ill., won the bareback broncho riding in the second annual world championship rodeo at the Chicago Stadium Thursday night, but in winning he suffered two broken arms• Ordell Bestill of Ft. Worth, Texas, was thrown from his mount in the same event and suffered a crushed face• Young Beck was one of the 107 entries in the world champion- ship rodeo contests held in Chi- cago, and was one of the 21 en- tries in the class which was bare- back bronco riding, mane and tail hold, world's championship contest. Beck is a son of Chris Beck, living two miles northeast of Mount Pulaski, and has been residing in Chicago the past sev- eral years. He is a former student of Mount Pulaski high school. He sent the Times-News this brief account of his feat and he was happy to know that he had put Mount Pulaski on the win- ner list. Times-News Mount Pulaski, Ill. Dear Sir: If you want a bit of news for your paper here is a clipping from the Chicago Tribune. I broke both arms above the wrist and a week ago dislocated a should- er, but aside from that Mount Pulaski went on the rodeo win. ning list. Sincerely yours, Ernest Beck. Plan to visit Mount Pulaski Sil-Tennial Week. HOES have changed There have, indeed, been a lot of changes in footwear since the city of Mount Pulaski was founded 125 years ago. Back then, high button shoes were the rage, but today you may choose from a variety of atttractive styles for men or women. Our 2 6 t h Year - - As we mark our 26th year in the shoe business, we feel thank- ful to our many friends, whose patronage has made our many friends, whose patronage has made our succe=s possible. And to our friends in the Mount Pulaski area, we also add con- gratulations on the 125 years of progress your community is celebrating. SCHOEN'S SHOE LINCOIN. ILL.