Newspaper Archive of
Times
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
Lyft
July 13, 1961     Times
PAGE 46     (46 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 46     (46 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 13, 1961
 

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




.-...SLL.TEHNIAL EDITION (Times-News, Mr. PulaskL IlL) THURSDAY ROYAL NBGHBORS CHARTERED IN 1899; MEMBERSHIP TOTALS 357 Organization Ld Thriving One An Active Group. Protection Camp No. 1911, Royal Neighbors of America, in Mount Pulaski, was chartered Nov. 24, 1899. Charter members were: August Barrels, Mary J. Barrels, Bertha Bicknell, Eliza J. Dawson, Lean- nab Dawson, S. C. Dawson, Mary E. Huffman, Adelia Laughery, Warren Lincoln,-Mary G. Rigg, Dr. James R. Rigg, Anna Schuler, John Schuler, Helen E. Ralston, Minnio Smedley, Thos. H. Smed- ley, Dollie West, C. E. West, Eliz- abeth R. Zah, Emma Zah. Dollie West is the only living charter member. The charter was attested Dec. 11, 1899, by Mrs. E. D. Watt, Su- preme Oracle; and, Minnie Field- er, Supreme Recorder. 1961 OFFICERS Mae Robinson, Oracle Ethel Hutchison, Past Oracle Mabel Pruett, Vice Oracle Mary Mier, Chancellor Fern Rentmeister, Recorder Cora Lipp, Receiver Carrie Goddard, Inner Sentinel Gerusia Hayes, Outer Sentinel Iona Van Fossan, Marshall Pearl Riedle, Assistant Marshall Fern Stuart, Musician Pauline Bertoni, Flag Bearer Mino Gruber, Faith Ethel Downing, Courage Carrie Tendick, Unselfishness Ida Shull, Endurance Mary Hahn, Modesty. Holding longest membership as of 1961 in the local camp, are: Dollie West, 62 years; Louise Ey, 57 years; Jennie Birks, 53 years; Carrie Cheek, 53 years; Bertha Foster 53 years; Pearl Kemmer, 52 years; Mary Mier, 53 years; Celia Poffenbarger, 53 years Grace McDonald, 51 years, and, Mary Schlachter, 50 years. Protection Camp No. 1911 has a membership of 357 adult morn- bers and Juveniles. The history of the Royal Neigh- bors of America, the largest wo- men's fraternal life insurance so- ciety, with legal reserve life in- surance for men, women, and children, with National head- quarters in Rock Island, Illinois, is a story of steady progress and today the Society ranks a- mong the leaders in fraternal life insurance field. Founded as a social order on Nov. 28, 1888, in Council Bluffs, Iowa, Royal Neighbors of Amer- ica was chartered as a fraternal benefit society on March 21, 1895. The first subordinate camp, desig- i nated as No. 1 was instituted in Council Bluffs on July 3, 1890, and is still in existence. Establishment of a juvenile department was on March 21, 1918. True fraternalism, exempli- fied by aid and other activities, is one of the underlying princi- ples of Royal Neighbors of Amer- ica. In 66 years the Society and its camps have expended several million dollars in fraternal aid. The Fraternal Fund, the Royal Neighbor Home, the camps, he free health service and the Royal Neighbor Home Endowment are the fraternal aid agencies of the Society. These are of benefit to thousands of members annually. The Royal Neighbor Home, located on a 41-acre site near Davenport, Iowa, is utilized for the care of aged and dependent Royal Neighbors, while direct aid consists of assistance to members in times of accident, adversity, disaster and illness. The free health service was es- tablished in 192/ to enlarge the benefits of Royal Neighbors of America. In 1959 the Society in- augurated its "Help to Hear" project as a fraternal activity, suggesting that Royal Neighbor Camps and individuals through- out the United States interest themselves in the problems of the hearing handicapped. PARENT-TEACHER ORGANIZATION AT GRADE SCHOOL FINE GROUP Brought Some Fine, Outstanding Persons to the Community. The Mount Pulaski Cons. Grade School Parent-Teachers Associ- ation formed Thursday, Feb. 26, 1948, has been a very active group and has done many worth- while projects in cooperation with the school. A committee composed of Mes- dames Herman Wood, Eugene Manes, Katherine Downing, Aden Kuhns, Charles Anderson and Margaret Tierney was appointed. The following officers were elected: President: Mrs. Edward Ruwe Vice-President: Mrs. William Mitchell Secretary: Mrs. Henry Christ- ensen Treasurer: Mrs. Harold Stoll The dues were set at 50 cents and have never been raised. Among the many worthwhile projects that this energetic or- ganization has sponsored are: Trophy case, reading table and chairs Flag and standard Band instruments Purchase tape recorder Ditto machine bought Pictures in all rooms Worked for the new school in helping pass the bond issue. In 1949 the annual Christmas party for all children of the com- munity was started in cooperation with the Chamber of Commerce. In this program some 800 or 900 youngsters are given an outstand- ing program and treats,at Christ- mas time, all free. The Chamber of Commerce finances the event while the P-TA arranges and car- ries it out. Puppet shows and magicians were tbe most popu- lar programs. A Safety Program was started in 1952 which resulted in the gat- es being erected on the street north of the school. This was done through the cooperation of the Tomlinson Trustees, the city officials and the school paying the cost of same. The Cub Scouts are also sponsored by the P-TA. Outstanding speakers who have been brought to Mount Pulaski, included: Dr. Preston Bradley, Dr. Nicholas Nyardi, former secre- tary of Finance in Hungary, Mrs. Billio Davis, then nationally- known lecturer and author of "I Was A Hobo Kid," Ross Ran- JULY 13, 1961 Riding Club Is Popular Pastime With All Ages A group of interested horse lov. ers held a meeting one evening in March, 1956 at the City Hall, and after a very interesting dis- cussion, the Mt. Pulaski Riding Club was formed. It is a club composed of people who own their own horses or anyone inter- ested in horses. The purpose of the club is to promote good sportsmanship, fellowship, t o further the knowledge of horse. manship and to teach and pro- mote the proper care of the an- imals. The club meets the third Wed. nesday of each month, when the business meeting and elections take place and is usually fol- dolph, warden of Menard peni- tentiary, Emil "Dutch" Leonard, former National League outstand. ing pitcher. Life memberships have been presented to Mrs. Harvey Davis, Jr., and Harry J. Wible, in the organization. Mrs. Mary Ruwe, first president, was elected as a director of District 9 of the Ill- inois state association and is now secretary of the Illinois Congress of Parent-Teachers Association. Fifteen mothers learned to run the eye-testing machine so that every child in school may have an eye test each year. Jitney Suppers were very pop- ular for several years, but were replaced with a variety show which proved very popular. Jun- nior minstrel shows were also staged two or three years. The patrol system was started in 1955 and raincoats furnished by the P -TA. Tribute was paid Mrs. Lola Hahn DeSpain in 1955, for her 27 years of teaching, 24 of which were in Mount Pulaksi schools. Presidents of the organization were: - 1948-49---Mrs. Edward Ruwe 1950--Mm. Harold Hargrave 1951--Mrs. Orville Downing 1952---Mrs. Robert Harem 1953---Mrs. Harry Martin, Jr. 1954---Mrs. Dean Cullen 1955--Mrs. Lloyd Berg 1956---Mrs. Harvey Davis, Jr. 1957--Mrs. Eugene Downing 1958--Mrs. Harvey Davis, Jr. 1959--Mrs. Raymond Hanslow Officers this Sil-Tennial Year, are: President: Mrs. Emmitt Shell. hammer. Vice-President: Mrs. Wilfred Reeves Secretary: Mrs. Sheldon Good- man Treasurer: Mrs. Orville Fulk. , lowed by some sort of entertain- i ment and a lunch and social time afterwards. The first president of our club was the late Herbert Holy., our first secretary, Hilma DePoister; our first treasurer, Virginia Roth- well; and our first nngmaster, Frank Van Fossan. Our first se- lection of board members were as follows: For a 3-year term, Aus- tin W. Schaffenacker and Leland-; Simkins; for 2-year terms, Mrs. George Washbond and Mrs. Iona Van Fossan; and, for 1 year, George Washbond and Marjorle Mitchell. The constitution and by.laws were drawn up and on April 18, 1956, we became known as the Mt. Pulaski Riding Club, Inc. During the past four years, the club has enjoyed many a nice trail ride, potluck supper, old- fashioned cookouts, and an oyster and chilli supper, besides the little snacks on other occasions. The club enjoyed a turkey din- ner at Don's Diner this last Christmas and we have an an- nual chicken fry at the Scroggin home each year; is greatly enjoyed by a bets. rhe club has had a good ing membership sinceLltiv d and now has a memo._:ff-,- 41 members The followi l ple are the" present office r w board members: President: Frank TurleY  Vice-President" Earl Ivl _a'q Secretary-Trcaurer: Iol" Fossan e_ Ringmaster: Robert Board members are: McCubbin Dean Cate (tg Malson, ;anda .hertOn, *'-- Lucas and Karl Bender.._ pl During this past y earjjtn members were saddeneu 7;," loss of two of its very fu'.,.l bets, Karl Bender and ,hpll Ho who passed away in ,"- of 1960. "C0, tO The Club extends a weJ m be" anyone who would like " come a member. Anyone wishing to contact the president o To the Residents of A Fine Little City ^,,d Mount Pulaski has every reason to be pr as it Celebrates its 125th Anniversary. It zs come a long way from its early beainnmg a pioneer settlement to the modern residenu and commercial city of today. Our hats are off to all those who have helped Mount P ulasi become the fine city it is today! Kenneth W. J ohnsOS Road Construction - Sand & Gra "We Haul An),where" No 1405 I llth Street nd Transfer Phone 732-2171 LINCOLN