Newspaper Archive of
Times
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
Lyft
July 13, 1961     Times
PAGE 44     (44 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 44     (44 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 13, 1961
 

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




-..61L-TENNIAL EDITION (Times.News, Mt. Pulaski, ILL) THURSDAY, JULY 13, 1961 | MASONIC ORDER FOUNDED IN 1850. HAS GROWN CONSISTENTLY Own Their Own Buildings Which House Lodge Rooms (Oct. 5, 1960) This is a short history of the Mount Pulaski Lodge No. 87 A. F. & A. M., since the issuance of its charter in 1850, just 14 years after the founding of the city. Record has it that it was issued October 8 of that year, to David p. Bunn, Master; J. R. Braucher, Senior Warden; R. Carlyle, Jun- ior Warden; and other members whose names could not be ob- tained. Mount Pulaski Lodge #87 A.F. & A.M., received a Special Dis. pensation in February, 1850, to operate until their Charter was issued on October 8th, 1850 at the Annual Meeting of the Grand Lodge of Illinois at Shawneetown. For the year 1851 the follow- ing were officers: David P. Bunn, Master; J. R. Braucher, Senior Warden; R. Carlisle, Junior Ward- en; A. Edmunds, Treasurer; John T. Jenkins, Secretary; W. B. Harry, Senior Deacon; Luther Hill, Jun- ior Deacon; W. C. Snyder, Tyler. The following were members at that time: T. Leads, R. O. Par- anteau, G. W. Finley, W. H. Young, Granville Fain, DeGrasse Brooks, Robert Grun, S. Kahn, James McGraw, M. Kahn, R. B. Latham, J. B. McIntosh, John Clark, Charles Capps, Henry Vonderlieth, H. B. Rowe, Jesse Blackledge and others for a total of 25 members. At the time the charter was Issued to the lodge, the meet- ings were held on the east side of the public square in the build- ing formerly occupied by the Snyder carpenter shop, now the George Wolcott Gas and Appli- ance Co. Later the meeting place was changed to the second floor of the two-story brick building former- ly owned and occupied by the store of the C. F. Schafer Co. Aft- er several years there the lodge bought the building they now occupy, and at the present time is owned jointly by Mount Pul- aski Lodge No. 87, A.F. & A.M., Mount Pulaski Chapter No. 121 Royal Arch Masons and Mount Pulaski Commandery No. 39 Knights Templar. The Order of Eastern Star uses it for their meeting place. There have been 449 members Join this lodge during the cent- ury, but the hand of death has taken many, and with transfers to others Lodges, leaves the 1950 membership at 169. SIL-TENNIAL YEAR OFFICERS OF ORDER The officers of the three branches of the Masonic Order at the beginning of the Sil-Ten- nial Year of 1961, are given be- lows: Lodge No. 87 Ancient Free & Accepted Masons John C. Bowers, 1802 E. Cantrell St., Decatur: Worshipful Master. Donald Curtis Copeland, Senior Warden. William Joseph Matthews, Jun- ior Warden Francis Harold Myrick: Trea- surer. Ennis A. Downing: Secretary Joseph Willard Lucas: Senior Deacon. Joe William England: Junior Deacon. Sheldon Copland, Senior Stew- ard. $. Lee Hild: Junior Steward, Chestnut. $. Dalen Shellhammer, Chap- lain, Illiopolis. Elmer E. Hayes, Marshal. Roy D. Gasaway, Tyler. Chapter # 121 Royal Arch Masons Joseph Willard Lucas, High Priest William Joseph Matthew's, King J. Dalen Shellhammer, Scribe, Illiopolis. Francis Harold Myrick, "Treas- r. Ennis A. Downing, Secretary. Ellis C. Downing, Chaplain. Joe William England, Capt. of the Host. Donald Curtis Copeland, Prin- cipal Sojourner. John Clarence Bowers, Royal Arch Captain, 1802 E. Cantrall St., Decatur. Orville H. Downing, Master of 3rd Veil. J. C. Goddard, Master of 1st Veil. John R. Curtis, Steward. Roy D. Gasaway, Sentinel. Commandery No. 39 Knights Templar Harry Peterson, Eminent Com- mander, Cornland. John Leroy Woodrum, General- issimo, Williamsville. John Clarence Bowers, Captain General, 1802 E. Cantrall, De- catur: Past Commander. J. Dalen Shellhammer, Senior Warden, Illiopolis. Joseph Willard Lucas, Junior Warden. Donald Curtis Copeland, Prelate Past Commander. Francis Harold Myrick, Treasur. er. Past Commander. Ennis Albert Downing, Record- er. Past Commander. William Joseph Matthews, Standard Bearer. Past Com- mander. Winfred Raymond Lanterman, Sword Bearer. George Ruel Batterton, Color Bearer, Cornland. Joe William England, Warder. Alva Coronet Brown, Sentinel. O. E. S. LODGE WAS FORMED IN 1900 A special meeting called of those persons interested in form- i ing an Eastern Star in Mt. Pulas- ki, was held on August 2, 1900. It was formed under the di- rection of W. B. Carlock of Bloomington (Deputy Grand Pat- ron) assisted by Mrs. Belle Schott of Lincoln. The degree was given to 21 members at this time. Fol- lowing the degree the following were installed as officers: Mary Aitchinson: Worthy Mat- ron P. H. Oyler: Worthy Patron Mary Wilson: Associate Matron Etta Bozarth: Secretary Sarah Wood: Treasurer Lula Fregenshuh, Conductress Hester Evans: Associate Con- ductress Anna Schafer: Adah Virgilia Pumpelly: Ruth Charlotte FoWler: Esther Lura Lynn: Martha Hanna Meyers: Electa Catherine Addleman: Warder A. C. Wilson: Sentinel Prudie Beidler: Chaplain Emaline Oyler: Marshal Anna R. Schafer: Organist The 20th anniversary was ob- served on Aug. 9, 1920. Mary Upp was Worthy Matron and G. E. Housman, Worthy Patron. On Aug. 27th, 1925, the Order celebrated its 25th anniversary. Mayme Schafer was Worthy Matron and Walter Schafer was Worthy Patron. This was quite a celebration. Six charter members were present: Elizabeth Schafer Hanna Meyers, Hester Evans Lula Fregenshuh, Anna Schafer and Virgilia Pumpelly. On Sept. 27th, 1940, Ethel Downing, W.M., and Ellis Down. ing, W.P., had a special evening celebrating the Order's 40th anni- versary. Miss Anna Schafer was the only member present. Mrs. Belle Schott was the special guest. On Sept. 29, 1950, the Order's 50th anniversary was celebrated. Mildred Myrick, W.M. and Francis Myrick, W.P. All stations were filled by Past Matrons and Past Patrons. Belle Schott was present and gave a nice talk regarding the first meeting in 1900. A special program was given in the form of a play showing how the Order of the Eastern Star was first form- ed. The officers for 1961 are as follows: June Crawford: Worthy Matron Joe England: Worthy Patron Sally England: Associate Mat- ron Donald Copeland: Associate Patron Mildred Myrick: Secretary Eugene Kretzinger: Treasurer Meria Bowers: Conductress Pauline Bender: Conductress Ethel Downing: Chaplain Mary Veech: Marshal Luella Myrick: Organist Naomi Curtis: Adah Mac Kretzinger: Ruth Audrey Copeland: Esther Lola Froehlich: Martha Gerusia Hayes: Electa Irene Matthews: Warder Elmer Hayes: Sentinel Blanche Ford: Instructress Home Bureau Forms Two Units Inn Township June 28, 1946 a group of ladies of Mount Pulaski Town. ship met to organize a Home Bu- reau Unit. On the advice of the County Home Adviser, Mrs. Mabel Al- brecht, it was decided to divide into two groups, Unit I to meet at a public place, Unit II to meet at the homes of its members on the second Monday of the month. At the first meeting of Unit II held at the home of Mrs. Edward Ruwe, the following officers were elected to serve one year. Chairman: Mrs. Harold Tendick Vice-Chairman: Mrs. Karl Dittus Secretary - Treasurer: Mrs. Clarence Romer. Objectives of the Home Bureau are to help the homemaker im- prove home and community life through educational programs, to build a stronger organization of homemakers; also, to sponsor girls' 4-H club work and rural youth work. This unit has donated toward such worthwhile causes as the March of Dimes, Pennies for Friendship, Polio Fund Scholar- ship, Girl Scouts, 4-H Heritage Fund, D.D.T. Spraying and the Sil-Tennial Fund. We have ais( given our time and effort to th TB Survey Unit, Blood Bank Rummage Sales, Food Exchanges Silent Auctions, Public Card Part. ies, Float for Fiesta Parade, County Fair Lunch Stand and Box Lunches for Farm Bureau meetings. Charter members still active, are: Mrs. Louise Ey, Mrs. Otto Ey, Mrs. Wilbur Stoll, Mrs. Karl Dit- tus, Mrs. Julian Schmidt, Mrs. Norman Schahl, Mrs. John Biese- meier, Mrs. Harold Tendick and Mrs. Wendell Rothwell. The present officers are: Chairman: Mrs. Wilbur Stoll Vice-Chairman: Mrs. Louis French Secretary. Treasurer: Mrs. Karl Dittus. Lumber Roofing " Insulation Sherwin-Williams Paint Glass Millwork LATHAM Brick & TUe Floor Covering Phone: OR-4-5351 LINCOLN COAL MINE 4 t I P.O. BOX 155 LUMBER 0. COAL Mine Located on Route 121 11/z Miles Southeast of Lincoln. Illinois FRESHLY MINED DEEP MINE cOAL ,,/ Oil-Treated Stoker 3x8 Egg and Large LUSSiP is available at any time CALL 732-6077 or CONTACT YOUR FAVORITE TRUCIH A Successful Sil-Tennial to Mount Pulaski fsvs Paul and Percy McSpadden. new owners of e coal mine We're Right on Your Job of EXCAVATI NG or GRADI NG When If Comes To Any Job Of Earth Moving- Big or Small  !. BACK FILLING . GRADING ANGLE DOZING, TRENCHING BACK HOE WORK, OR ROAD MATERIALS COME TO US! WE'VE GOT "WHAT IT TAKES" IN MODERN EQUIPMENT & SKILLED EXPERIENCED MAN-POWER TO DO IT BETTER AND FASTER AT LOWER COSTS GET OUR ESTIMATES FIRST LOGAN COUNTY CONST. O. EX C A V ATING LINCOLN, ILLINOIS PHONE 732J945