Newspaper Archive of
Times
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
Lyft
July 13, 1961     Times
PAGE 32     (32 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 32     (32 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 13, 1961
 

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




-...SXL.TENNIJ EDITION (Tlmes.Now8. Mr. Pullld. DL) TllURSDAY. JULY IS. INI Mount Puaskl and vicinity did full part in the Civil war. With 2o assoe..efio of tF communlt whh Abraham Lincoln fresh in mind. his presidential calls for troops to save the Union met a pon. Mandrel Wemple early organized a cavalry company which saw service at SMIoh and on other famous bnfflefields of the war. Weml:de was later made major of the Second BaHallon. Company D of the 106th infantry reqlment was comoorl aF most entirely of men horn Mount Pulaski and vicinity. It was offic- ered as follows: Captain (later promoted major ) David Venhise: lieutenants, John Everly, Monroe Shoup, Joseph Ream; sergeants, W. W. Mar- tin. A. J. Snyder, William Valevent, Tom,s C. Shreve corpor- als, J. G. Chalfant, Robert Laughlin, Joseph Galoway, Reuben Bow- ers, Alfred Tomlinson, Abner Jackson, James Bowers, Samuel Hunt- Jr, John Dement, J. G. Bates. George Dement of company D was promoted sergeant major and D. L Braucher quarter mester-sergennt. William Frekes was cap teln o{ company B, 32rid infantry and Willam Hackney, captain of company H, seventh infantry. Citizens of Mount Pulaski and vicinity in considerable numbers were affiliated wlfh other regiments and many gave up their lives in service. Among the first war fatalffies was that of John H. Duff, killed at Shiloh. TOWNSHIP ORGANIZATION Following the Civil war, fEe movement, first inaugurated in 18S8, reached final achievement in 1865. By it, county government by three commissioners gave way fo government by a board of su- pervisors. Under township orc.lanlzatlon, Moun Pulaski townshlp as now existent was created. The first election for township officers, held April second, 1867, resulted as follows: Supervisor, Alexander Fisher: town clerk, Charles S. Capps: assessor, George W. Howe: collector, Henry Vonderlelth: justices of the peace, John Weckel, J. N. Pumpally. RAILROADS Prior fo 1871, Mount Pulaski was an inland town, being without railroads. In 1867, the *Peoria, Lincoln & Decatur railroad was in- corporated, wife proposed Hght of way through Mount Pulaski. The incorporation contemplated a county bond issue of $300,000. The bond issue was twice-defeted at special elections but was finally approved in 1869. Litigation, however, resulted which cost fee county $20,000 but a compromise was affected on the basis of a bond issue of $160,000. The building of the road began in November 1869 end was completed fo Decatur in October of 1871. The name of the road was canged in IB79 to the Peoria, Decatur and Evansville and the road was later absorbed by the Illinois Central. In 1867. the Gilman, Clinton & SpHnafield road was incon0or- ated with right of way through Mount Pulaski. Building began in 1870 and was completed in December of 1871. It is now the Spring- field division of fEe Illinois Central. IN THE SEVENTIES The coming of the railroads brought greater prosperity to Mount Pulaski. The value of building improvement the next years amounted to over forty thousand dollars. The first bank in the town, the Scrocjgln bank, opened its doors in 1872. The Christian church society, organized in 1868, erected a church building in 1870 and fee St. John's Evangelical Lutheran church society, also orcnized in 1868, followed with a church building in 1873. In 187S, fEe Schick brick building was erected and in 1876 a musk. hall. In |B7B, the bildlng and eulpment of the Scro@gln hotel, opera house and bank building made a distinct improvement to the town. Three additions were lald out to the town, Mason's in 1871 end Beam's and Turley's in 1872. The population of Mount Pulaski reached I, 125 in 1880. NEWSPAPERS The first newspaper published in Mount Pulaski was the Sentin- el, established by Francis M. Dalton in 1870. Having later changed its name fo the Star, it ceased twinkling in 1876. Various other papers, by different publishers, appeared sub- sequenfly for short periods of time until the Republican was estab- lished by T. H. Smedty in 1884 and taken over in t886 by S. Linn Boidler. Otto Bokemeyer established the Times in 1882. Following the death of Mr. Boidler, his sons, Rell C. and Paul E..changed fEe name of fEe Republican to fhaf of the News, which combined with the Times, is now published as the Times-News b/ Harry J. Wible. OLD SETTLERS ASSOCIATION An important event in 1873 was the organization of the old settlers' association, with David W. Clark as president and S. Linn Boidler s secretary. The first reunion occurred in the public square in Mount Pulaski on October first of that year. These reunions continued annually until 1910, most of the meetings being held at Mount Pulaski. They attracted great crowds from all over central IIIinols. A barbecue reunion in 1882, at which seven heaves, twelve hogs and thirteen sheep, steamcooked, furni- ed provender, was said to have been effended by I S,0(X) people. THE GRADE SCHOOL By an act of the Legislature, passed in 1857, the Mount Pulaski court house building was "donated" fo the town "for school pur- poses," Henry Vonderlleth, George W. Turley and Jabez Capps be- inq named as trustees for two years. The fact further provided that, at the explretion of the two years, control of the building was to pass to the directors of the Mount Pulaski school district. The courthouse thus became the school build ing of the town. Referring to the school conducted in the court house, County Superintendent Chalfant, in his official report of 1869, reportecl the school as being "conducted with efficiency and success by Mrs. Nellie Shoup in the higher department and Mrs. HaHie Mills in the primary department." In 1877, a change was made from the former school sysm 0 a qrad sm under a town txrd of education. A bond is- sue provided $20,0(X) for the erection and equipment of bui,dng, whi was bui end ..y  ocpay i: J uary of 1878. The court house being no Ioeger used for school purpos was turned over to the town auhtorities foe community uses. For a num- h of lmer it has housed tt govnmen po-0ffice. . VILLAGE OReANIZATION Mounf  was oHginaJ orgzed el a town at en eerly ..re .ader tt mwel law thee ;d;n. The  b.cj non- existent and the boundaries being in doubt, reorgasnlzation as a village was affected in  876. At a special election held that year village organization was approved. The first village board conslstecl of Uriah Snyder, Char- les S. Capps, William A Schafer, Alexander Fisher, John Krleg and John W. Seyfer. IN THE EIGHTIES The first telephone exchange in Mount Pulaski was installed in 1881. In fee same year, C. E. Snyder established a fence and barrel factory. The k4eister building was erected in I BB2 and the Jenner bufldincl in 1886. The Mehhodist church society erected a new church edifice in 1884 and the Catholic parish of St. Thomas Aquinas' buiff a house of worship in 1886. In 1887, the First National bank was established. The Mount Pulaski mill and elevator was built in (88(. There were three grain elevators in the vlllage in 1882. Several additions to fee village were lald out in the early eighties. In 1882 a cool mining company was organized and a shaft sunk the following year. After passing into various hands af different times, the shaft was abandoned about 1910. FIRE DEPARTMENT The burning of the McFarln & Woods e)evator in i880, re* built in 1882, and fEe destruction by fire of the Mount Pulaski mill in 188S, af a loss of some $40,000, suggested the organization of volunteer fire department. Thereupon, on arch 13, I885, the Phoenix fire department was organized wlfh eighteen charter members, with W. H. stafford as fire chief. The department celebrated its semi-centennlal of con- tinuous existence in 193S. The Phoenix fire department won numerous state chmplon- shp tokens and race pFzes in its early history. It has been affiliated with the state volunteer firemen's organization since 1889, of which M. J. Myer formerly president, is now vice president. CITY ORGANIZATION By a vote of its citizens, January third, 1893, village organiza- tion in Mount PuLaski was superseded in that year by city govern- ment under t,e general law. The city was divided into three wards. The first city officials were: Mayor, A. G. Jones; Clerk, Frank Fiegenshuh: treasurer, Geor- ge W. Vonderlieth; aldermen, Jacob Jenner, George W. Connelly= M. T. Vaughn, Jonathan Combs, P. H. Oyler, J. M. Whitney. FURTHER IMPROVEMENTS Following city organization and the creation of the fire deprt- menf, a water works system, equipped wifE wells, hydrants and a reservois of sixty thousand gallons capacity, was established in 1895 at a cost of $30,000. In I899, a city hall, with Gre engine room, was buiff east of the public square. A city library was established in 1896. Prlorly, [n t890, an electric lighting plant had been established. The Mount Pulaski windmill company was organized in 1902 and a building and loan association in 1904. In 1902, the Catholic parish built a new church edifice, an Eplscopa church was erased in 1904 and in 1907, the Methodist church society erec''ed their third house of worship on the old site. MOORN A disastrous fire occurred in September of 191 I, when combined grade and high school building was destroyed. A issue was voted for rebuilding and a new school sSrrucfure at an original cost of $30,000. In the reorganization, the grade school was divorced hgh school, in contemplation of a proposed township high A township high school, fEe firs'r in the county, was built in and dedicated January 30fh, t934. In 1929, improvements and additions were made to the ship high school, including modern gymnasium, at a further 50,000. Mount Pulaski enjoys the distinction of having puE tacitlties equal, and in many respects superior, to those of its size in the state. They hove excel!ed along both and athletic lines. WORLD One of the most outstanding events of late hlsfory World War, still fresh in the public mind. In that strut two thousand Logan county men were registered and to the military service of the country. In this world-wide contest, Mount Pulaski, as in all form e since its establishment a century ago, furnished its futi soldiers and these gave loyal support fo the country, its and the flag. A thriving pos" of the American Legion, named ;n Dr. H. D. Ryrrsn and Zachary Fu;ten, who gave up their fion, perpetuate the tradition of the NaHon. Post-humous tion for bravery was accorded the memory of Dr. Ryman. MODERN In the past decade, improvements in bus;hess, public denfial properties, as well as in civic movements, have of the advancing times. Few localities in the count 'depression" more successfully than did Mount PulaskL business failures marked the economic struggle. A concrete state highway, constructed in 1934, PulasE with Decatur and all points eest and likewise vane, Peoria and ponts west. A similar hghway to prospect. An improved road to Elkhart is now a reality. COURT No event is of greater mportance to Mount Pulaski country in general than the recent taking over by the nois, wifE local reservations, of the old court house a historic shrine. Restored to former appointments, reminiscent as the is of pioneer and Abraham Lincoln days, the ancient park in which located, will prove a Mecca of patriotic for years to come. The above events, more or less briefly noted, ry of Mount Pulaski. What does the next century No mortal can answer. 00JUDGE LAWRENCE Be STRINGER HAD AN ENVIABLE RECORD Compiled History o! Mount Pulaski Used In This Edition The history of Mount Pulaski and community as well as that of Logan county would not be com- plete without including the name of the late Judge Lawrence B. Strhger, of Lincoln. Always a warn friend of Mount Pulaski, Lawrence Stringer huddl- ed with local citizens and those from other parts of the county in the early days, in the old Jenner Hotel, here, when the politically- minded held many of their cam- paign kick-offs. The lobby which is now the stock room of the Times-News, was the setting for these meetings. The following brief history of Judge Stringer was compiled in ,1943 by our good friend Will- iam D. Copeland, president of Lin- coln College: Lawrence B. Stringer was born in the State of New Jersey on Feb. 24, 1866. He came to Lincoln, Ill. in the fall of 1884, and matricu- lated at Lincoln University, now Lincoln College. He was gradu- ated with the degree of A.B. in 1887. Three years after his gradu- ation, when only 23 years of age, he was selected to the lower house of the General Assembly of the State, and served for four years. He was the author of the present compulsory education law of Illinois, drafted a major portion of the State's Australian ballot system. On Dec. 18, 1890, he was mar- lied to Miss Helen PeRtain, dau- ghter of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Pe- gram of Lincoln, and celebrate their golden ary. Mrs. Stringer remains i home which he left. In 1894, he was a of Division of the United Pension Agency in Chicago. That same year, he Chicago College of Law; graduated two years later; then took a post-graduate receiving the degree of was admitted to the bar on 26, 1896. Always an ardent Abraham Lincoln, he, young man, attended Settlers' meetings because opportunities they gave l talk with people who had Lincoln personally; and cured in this way much record information hero. In 1900, he was elected upper house of the Assembly of the State. successful candidate for Pro tern. of the State became the mint In 1904, he was his party for Governor of to run against his friend, S. Deneen; and immediat lowing Deneen's Governor, he appointed the Presiding Judge of Court of Claims. Judge Stringer was the lafive nominee of his 1908 for United States deadlock ensued. His William Lorimer, was such dubious methods investigation by the sulted in Lorimer's Elected as Cot Large for Illinois in Stringer was appointed bet of the Committee Affairs. Judge Stringer was County Judge of without opposition in five successive elected. At the time ing, Dec. 5, 1942, he two days of having ears. All who knew Judge dmired his and accomplishments. best loved him, for hi his charity for the ers, and his beneficent in his home ,!