Newspaper Archive of
Times
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
Lyft
July 13, 1961     Times
PAGE 167     (167 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 167     (167 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 13, 1961
 

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




--SIL.TENNIAL EDITION (Times-News, Mr. PulaskL IlL) THURSDAY, JULY 13, 1961 SIL.TENNIAL BELLES CHORUS which has been singing for various activities; most of them are in the Pageant Chorus. Front Row, left to right---Jennie Wilham, Irene Matthews, Ruth Lee, Tess Brooker, Jessie Schaffenacker, Alma Baumann, Eileen Burdick, Nancy Dittus. Middle RowmMarie Zebrun, Naomi Curtis, Louella Myrick, Maude Miller, Rose- mary Fuiten, Stella Hawk, Irma Jean Buckles, Phyllis Meister, and Betty Sams, director. Back Row--Margaret Wible, Adalla Downing, Edna Al- len, Ruth Havener, Ann Zelle, Ethel Downing, Helen Buckles. Lois Schaf- fenacker is the accompanist.--Times-News Photo. DANNERS AMONG SETTLERS TO TAKE Christian Danner was born in the vicinity of the Black Forest in Wurtemberg, Germany in 1785. He was married about 1806 and his wife's name is unknown. He was a blacksmith by trade and during his early manhood was crippled by the freezing of his lower limbs, which compell- ed him to drag himself around on his hands. He was the father of seven children, five sons and two daughters. When these sons grew to manhood, many people were leaving Germany to come to America. These boys too, felt the desire to seek their fortune in America, so they left the Father- land one by one. The first to leave was gAndrew" who landed at Hagerstown, Mary- land in 1832 at the age of 24. He worked at Hagerstown at the blacksmith trade. In 1839 he came to Springfield, Ill. where he worked at his trade for a year. Then in 1840, he walked to Mt. Pulaski, Illinois. There were two houses in Mt. Pulaski at that time when he arrived Jabez Capps and Dr. Barton Robinson lived in these two houses. An- drew Danner boarded with Mr. Capps until he was married to Magdaline Merganthaler, who died in 1855. In 1856 he was married to Mary Loeterle. He had nine children, five by his first wife and four by his second wife. They were, Christina, wife of Peter Baker; Marian, wife of John Reinders; John Danner; Margar- et, wife of Fred Sommers; Christ- ian Danner; Katherine, wife of  Andrew Epting. Three children died in infancy. Andrew worked at the blacksmith trade for 18 years, and he also had purchased 80 acres of land in 1841. The second son to leave the fatherland to come to America was Christian Danner. He was born Dec. 13, 1810, and came to America in 1834. He worked in Pittshurg, Pennsylvania for six years. In 1838 he married Effie Dorothy Smith and two years lat- er he came to Mt. Pulaski, Ill. The two brothers evidently came to Mr. Pulaski the same year. Christian and Effie's first child l was born July 7, 1841 and was named Andrew F. Danner. He was the first white child of German parentago born in Mt. Pulaski and the old home is still standing (1960) and is part of EARLIEST OF UP RESIDENCE Christian married Dorothy Burke- hardt. To this union was born Mary, wife of John Roth; George, i Gottljeb, Fred, Christian, and Christina, wife of Frank Guntern. Christian and Andrew Danner were the first settlers in Mt. Pul- aski after 3abez Capps and Dr. Barton Robinson who came from Springfield in 1836. They laid out the townsite and gave the two Danners each a lot. On one they built a frame house. It stood on the south side of the square, now the site of the Danner Building. Christian and Andrew followed the blacksmith trade and they were the only blacksmiths be- tween Springfield and Clinton. There were no roads, no bridg- es in the country, just Indian trails. Labor was very cheap by our standards. $1.50 being the I price for shoeing a horse all a- round with new shoes. "All A- round" means all four feet, some youngsters might  not understand. They bought the iron from Mr. Capps and made their own shoes. Late in the fall farmers brought! pork to Mr. Capps, who paid then $1.50 per 100 lbs., deducting the amount of the blacksmith bill and also his bill for the raw iron and then paid the balance to the Danners. TABLES SET ROR 3,000 AT 1882 BARBECUE The "biggest time" that the old settlers have yet had was: in 1882, when they held a barbecue at Mr. Pulaski, on Wednesday, Sept. 13, 1882. The formal exer- cises were held in the public square, where the space had been fenced in for the old settlers with ropes. The stand was erected at the west front of the old court- house, where the interlacing catalpas made a grateful shade. Upon a table were displayed a few relics of old times, mainly in the form of homemade linen and coverlids, one of the latter 120 years old. A primitive stove, said to be 50 years old and the first ever used in this county, was al- so shown. The oldest person pres- ent was a Mrs. Hilliard, of the vicinity of Lake Fork Station, 101 years of age. Tables Set for $,000 The morning speeches were de- livered by Colonel R. B. Latham, of Lincoln, and James H. Ma- the house now occupied by the theny and R. W. Diller, of Spring- Kirb famil on South Lafayette held y Y . " . The meeting then adjourn, i St. There were four children born ed for dinner All the south side to this wife; Andrew, Hen.rY, iof the square was filled with John and Katherine (or' Katrme tables  , making a total length of as she was christened) who was [3,000 feet or more the wife of John Frederick Bender. ] There was no l'ack of meat as He was better known as Fred j the enormous steam chest had Bender. [done duty in cooking 6 beeves, After Effie's death in 1854, J 12 hogs and 13 sheep. Other sup- plies were furnished in propor- tion. The steam chest was 16 feet long, 7 high and 7 wide, made of common pine flooring, with 5 sets of grates or shelv- ing, made of 2x4 oak, upon which the meats were placed. A 40 lb. pressure of steam was turned on the first batch at a little after 2 o'clock Tuesday afternoon( the day before the meeting), and the chest was opened at about '/,i showing the meat thoroughly cooked. A second batch was cook. ed between 9 and 12:30 o'clock, immediately after. The chest having been steamed for sever- al days previous, no wood taste was perceptible in the meat. No raw meat was found as usual in roast barbecues. The coffee question seemed a very serious one to all, as apparently no pre- paration was in sight for its mak- ing. But a surprise followed when it was discovered that a turn of the steam pipe was made from the steam chest to an 80 gallon hogshead of ice water, which gave, in 10 minutes, that many gallons of boiling coffee. In all about 400 gallons were carried to the tables. MOUNT PULASKI HAS REASON TO CELEBRATE! When as fine a city as Mount Pulaski reaC._ its 125th birthday, that's something t0 brate. Through the years our town has sw--__t to a steady record of growth and improvemen do become truly a fine ptace to live and to business. We are proud to be a part of this toCOmm and extend Sil.Tennial Greetings evezT resident. , HOLMES GARAGf PHONE SW 2.5611 FAITH IN THE FUTUR| WE TAK PRIDE that we axe among the newor businesses in ]j. Pulaski  an evidence of our faith in the future of our city, wldCls  so splendidly been built by other businesses during the past 125 ye- OUR SERVICE to the public is primarily devoted to builders' ware, small appliances, and other items needed in the modern  Here you will find a complete selection of the well-known brm you would expect to find in a modern up-to-date hardware stor 5 MOUNT PULASKI FARMERS GRAIN & ELk'VAlW HARDWARE STORE