Newspaper Archive of
Times
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
Lyft
July 13, 1961     Times
PAGE 141     (141 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 141     (141 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 13, 1961
 

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




--SIL-TENNIAL EDITION (Tlmu-News, Mr. Pulask:L IlL) THURSDAY, JULY 13, 1961 Ro00well Lumber Celebrated Anniversary, 1952 (Jrm 31, 1952) 50 years of progress will be celebrated this coming Saturday, Feb. 2, by the J. M. Rothwell Lumber Co. on South Spring St., with Open House. The public is invited to join with this widely known firm in observing its half century of service to this area. Fifty Yean Ago The history of the successful growth of the Rothwell Lumber Co., dates back to the day of Feb. 2, 1902, when John M. Roth- well, then associated with the Scroggin & Sons Bank, now Farm. ers Bank, purchased the com- paratively small lumber busi- ness from W. D. Mitchell. The or- iginal office consisted of a 12x34 building which was used until the completion of the new offic and sales room a few months ago. In 1922 all sheds with the ex- ception of the original office and main building, were torn down. The main building and office were remodelled at that time. Seven years later in 1929, a part- nership was formed between Mr. Rothwell and his son, Keith, the business then becoming known as the J. M. Rothwell Lumber Co. Mr. Rothwell retired from active management of the business in 1935, but was compelled to again take charge of the company when Keith was called into service in 1941 when World War II broke out. This was to be particularly I trying period for Mr. Rothwell for I coupled with the added duties of] management was the scarcity of] materials, and the most tragic of all, was the disastrous fire on[ Aug. 19, 1945, which wiped-out| all buildings except the office[ which stood in front of the main - building. J. M. Rothwell retired again for the last time in 1945 following his : son Keith's return from service. Rebuilding on an even bigger scale was started at once on Kelth's return, but progress was slow due to the scarcity of ma- terials. However, time remedied all these difficulties and today one of the finest lumber plants to be found anywhere in the state stands as a monument to its founder, J. M. Rothwell, who pass. ed away Aug. 5, 1949. New Building Ultra.Modern The new building was con- structed of glazed tile and the office measures 36x70. Its concrete floor is covered with asphalt tile, and random width knotty pine was used on walls. Accoustical tile on the ceiling coupled with flourescent lighting, makes it a quiet, well-lighted salesroom. The gas-fired hot water heating sys- tem provides an even heat for the building. Merchandise displays add to the attractiveness of the large room, with both island and counter displays. A complete kitchen cabinet unit is arranged on the north side of the room to give the housewife an opportun. ity to better visualize it in her kitchen. An inter-communicatlon system, throughout the entire yard is a great time-saver. The housing facilities cover 5200 square feet of covered drive ways, with 30,000 square feet for storage and two acres of outside storage space. A large warehouse on the north of the main build. ing is used for the heavy ma- terials, including plaster, cement. nails, etc. Keith Rothwell, owner and manager, has as his assistant manager, Otto Ey, and Miss Anna Roth, bookkkeeper. Four trucks and a tractor are operated by four yard men  "Nick" Niekrenz, Charles Schultz, Vernon Voelker, and "Mike" Koehler. The first postmaster of this place was Jabez Capps, and the second was Ezekiel Bowman. Dr. John Clark held the appointment from 1851 to 1857, in December of which year S. Llnn Beidler was appointed. This gentleman held the office continuously until June, 1882, except the last two years of Johnson's administration, when the appointment was held by T. H. O. Mattfeldt. In June, John Seyfer Mr. Bei( Old Ice House Familiar Sight After Mt. Pulaski was founded in 1836, and people began to lo- cate here, they needed ice to take care of their foods in the sum- mertime. This was done by build. ing ice houses, and hauling the ice in horse.drawn wgons from Salt Creek, three miles north oil town. This practice was also us- ed in the country areas. As Mount Pulaski began to grow, and new business houses were constructed, the need for a big supply of ice became neces- sary. The meat markets had their own ice houses. The grocery stor- es and other businesses, as well as homes, depended on an ice dealer, wha built a large ice house, and deliveries were made about the city. All the ice was cut on Salt Creek and brought to town in horse-drawn wagons. The "ice harvest" was a busy time each winter, and many men found employment while it last. ed. The first break in the old meth- ed of getting ice to the consumer was when ice was made in plants in the cities by a new process. This method is now almost a thing of the past since nearly every one has a deep-freeze outfi with ample ice cube capacity. Visitors to Mount Pulaski will find the city filled with gra- cious hosts and hostesses. Our folks have always had a fine rep- utation for friendliness and this occasion will fully nrove it. GEORGE H. HUBBARD PROMINENT EARLY GRAIN BUYER Prominent among the energetic, enterprising and successful bus- iness men of Mount Pulaski, was th late George H. Hubbard, sec- retary and-treasurer of the Mount Pulaski Grain Company. He was born Jan. 23, 1865 on a farm in Prairie Creek township, Logan county, and was the son of Nicholas and Mary (Smith) Hubbard, both natives of Prussia, Germany, the former born in 1825 and the latter in 1830. In their family were nine children, name. ly: Nicholas, Mary, Theresa, Frederick, Anna, Emery, Jacob, Louis, and George. George remained on the old homestead and had charge of the farm after his father's death un- til February 1893, when he mov. ed to. Lincoln and embarked in the grain business, as a member of the firm of Hubbard Brothers & Company, but in Mrch 1896, became connected with the Mt. Pulaski Grain Company and liv- ed in Mount Pulaski. This company was organized March 14, 1889. The officers were president, John Lincoln; vice- president, Andrew Eisiminger; secretary and treasurer, George Hubbard. In 1893, Mr. Hubbard was unit- ed in marriage with Miss Mary A. O'Connor, of Logan county, a dau. ghter of John O'Connor, and they were the parents of five child- ren: Anna, Nicholas, John, Paul, and Harold. AUDIENCE OF 1,000 ENJOYED DR. JOHN HOLLAND (March 9, 1950) The Men's Club of the Christ. ain churches of the county, made history here Tuesday night, when they brought Dr. John of radio fame to the col I to address a public m, [the high school, which ]tended by nearly 1,000 Ied listeners. We're fully equipped and manned to do BulldO ing, Land Clearing, Earth Moving, Pond Diggi Open Ditch Drainage, and Hedge Clearing. We do any job of excavating or grading to meet your time schedule and cost budget. BAKER Got earth to move? Your best move is to call for an estimate. EXCAVATING & GRADING State Route 10 LINCOLN ILl- 72 Y To The rs of armer rvl AS our City of Mount Pulaski celebrates its Sil-Tennial, all eyes are turned backward for a few days to remember the many achievements of the past that have helped to make the city grow to the fine place it is today. In this reminiscent mood, we remember with pride the 79. years our company has served the farmers of this area. IT was back on March 14, 1889 that we organized to buy the grain produced by the fertile land that surrounds Mount Pu- laski. Since that time there have been good years when we shared the growth and prosperity with the farmers, and lean years when we were both able to struggle through the adver- sities of weather and finance. FOR the most part, it has been a record of success, however, and today we operate three elevators--in Mount Pulaski, Narita and Cornland. THE history of this company is also that of the Hubbard fam- ily in Mount Pulaski. George Hubbard was secretary and treasurer of the Mount Pulaski Grain Company when if was first organized, and served in that capacity for many years, later turning his duties over to his son Nicholas, who now op- erates the business. WE feel we have been very fortunate to merit the confidence and friendships that have enabled our business to grow and prosper as it has, and express a heartfelt Thank You to all those we have been able to serve. WE also feel very proud of Mount Pulaski and her accom- plishments as a city, and extend Sincere Greetings and Best Wishes to every resident of the area on the Celebration of the 19.5th Anniversary of her founding. GEORGE H.H-UBBABD MOUNT PULASKI GRAIN CO.