Newspaper Archive of
Times
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
Lyft
July 13, 1961     Times
PAGE 14     (14 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 14     (14 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 13, 1961
 

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




r.nmox (,mm.x.w. xt  m.) TmmsnAT./re.T, lS., lm, House Was Located nt Site of Our High School of this palatial 1875.1876, by Sam- was the largest pri- Logan county. On reverses the never finished as intended. A look at give you an idea the home. Several large rooms floors with hall- With the size of and stairways of in this model ar- art. The basement was entire house. The top finished. 1886, Mr. and Mrs. the old Beam operated the Palace years before Kans. It then became the home of several fam- ilies as an apartment house. At last, when the place was un- occupied, it began to detertoriate fast. When the combined high school and grade school In the east part of the city was des. troyed by fire on Oct. 28, 1911, the Beam property was purchased for the site of the new township high school. The old structure was tom down to make way for progress and the new building was started in the early spring of 1912. When Mr. Beam first came to Mount Pulaski in 1845, he became acquainted with Miss Mary L. Turley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Turley of Lake Fork, and they were later married. They were the parents of six children. He died March 8, 1880. OF COMMODORE PERRY'S EXPEDI11ON BURIED HERE e History 1853 an oldtime German .a member of played aboard ship when it voyage  to Ja- a hundred years Pulaski Ceme- the 1880's. the bass horn in Perry's ship. giving up his came to Mount ived in the old the north part of for its owner son of Jabez of Mount Pulaski's who frequented during the 1870's aas. One of his after the team and Puss, and to town. and two sons left COvered wagon Lnsas, being 30 This was fol- of Mrs. Capps. made his home family, and ed tame the wilderness. He fore- saw, as well as anyone could in those days, how transporta- tion by rail would peacefully revolutionize the continent. The railroads of today are a far-cry from primitive systems Perry knew. And their service to this nation is greater and more essential than it was then, even though the frontiers are gone. Steel rails tie together every part of the country and every phase of industry with the most effici- ent, economical and dependable transportation system the world knows. The little railroad that Perry took to Japan was a per- fect symbol of American pro- gressiveness and the American spirit. OLD DRUG STORE BUILDING SOLD TO SCROGGIN-BUCKLES (Oct. 26, 1944) Oran Scroggin and Russel Buckles, owners of the Mount Pulaski Theatre, on Oct. 7th, pur- chased the adjoining drug store building, occupied by Carter's Pharmacy, from Harry M. Small- he was laid to wood of, Decatur, who purchased cemetery, the property from the estate of TRIp the late William H. Bryson, a few or on July 14, years ago. Perry of the There is some local history con- arrived at nected with this old drug store mission of he- building. In the first place it was treaW the site of Mount Pulaski's first With him, it building, erected in 1836 by revealed, went Jabe Capps, when he came to something the old hill and founded the city now found in a- that year. It was a two-story log which he pre- structure, with a business room rulers. And on the first floor and living played a sig- quarters on the second. treaty ne- In 1857 Samuel Linn Be|dler used it as of pro. enterprise, and the Japanese of trading with that Perry this. At the were spread- the Miss. the frontier had and enter. the railroads and came here from Pennsylvania, built a brick building on the site and opened a drug store, which he operated until the 1890's. Since then others have continued in the same line of business there with the present occupant cran- ing here from Chicago a few years ago to conduct the businems as Carter's Pharmacy. In other words this building has always housed a drug store and it has been a long period of time, 87 years. That is an unusual re- cord. INTERIOR OF OLD BEIDLER DRUG STORE which was located at present site of Dean's Sundries. Shown are S. Linn Beidler, owner, with his son Donald, on his lap. Robert and Paul Beidler are the other two youngsters in the picture. Man is unidentified. (Dec. 21. 1950) Shortly before the Civil War Samuel Linn Beidler arrived in Mr. Pulaski, from his home near Middletown, Penn., and erected the brick building on the west side of square, on the site of this city's  structure, the two- story log building of Jabez Capps one of Mount Pulaski's founders the first floor being used for his mercantile business and the i second for his residence quarters. Abraham Lincoln often visited there. Mr. Beidler opened up a drug store, and for more than 80 years this line of business has contlnu. ously been conducted there. The post office was located in this structure for many years in its early days when Mr. Beldler was pcmaster. The accompanying photograph shows the front of the building in the year 1894. In the picture are shown, from left to right-. Thomas Smedley, S. Llnn Beid- ler, Frank Beidler, Scott Sallsch, George C. and Rell C. Beidler, while in the doorway are John L. Betdler and Dr. Will A. Swain. Out of this group, four are living (in 1939): Dr. Swain, Decatur; Mr. Salisch, Texas; George C. Beidler, employed by the Daily News in Chicago, and Rell C. Beldler, Mount Pulaski. The basket which Mr. Salisch has on his shoulder contains cop. ies of the Mount Pulaski Week. ly News, ready to be taken to the post office. SINCE 1857... Mount Pulaski was a young city of 21 years when S. Linn Beidler open. ed the first drug store in this "location back in 1857. Through the 104 years since that time, there has always been a store at this spot to serve your needs in patent medicines and sund- ties. In this Sil-Tennial year we take pride in being able to continue this record of service to the Mount Pulaski area, and wish to express a deep-felt thanks for the patronage that has made our years here successful. We look forward to being able to con- tinue to serve the area with a com- lete line of merchandise in an up-to- date store. DEAN'S SUNDRIES KODAK CAMERAS PATENT MEDICINES D FOUNTAIN SERVICE