Newspaper Archive of
Times
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
Lyft
July 13, 1961     Times
PAGE 137     (137 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 137     (137 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 13, 1961
 

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




SIL.TENNIAL EDITION, (Times.News, Mr. Pulaski, IlL) THURSDAY, JULY 1961 High School Erected In 1914; Addition, 1" FIRST TOWNSHIP HIGH SCHOOL TO BE BUILT IN LOGAN COUNTY PRESENT MOUNT PULASHI TOWNSHIP HIGH SCHOOL (February, 1914) The dedication exercises were held Friday, Jan. 30, 1914. Dean Eugene Davenport from the Uni- versity of Illinois, gave the prin- cipal address. The business hous- es of the city were closed during the program and the people of the entire community generous- ly contributed to the interest of the occasion by their attendance. The building is a handsome two-story and basement struc- ture, 111x65 feet with a boiler room extension of 38 feet, and is built of vitrified brick with Bed- ford stone trimmings. It contains 22 rooms including a gymnasium, library, manual training and do- mestic science departments. Toil. ets and shower baths are located at each end of the building. An assembly room 63x44 feet, seats nearly 500 persons, and has a stage 20x22 feet. The building is plumbed throughout for hot and cold water and is warmed by two boilers. There is a fine ventilating system. Telephone connections in all rooms and joined with the city system outside. The light- ing is properly admitted in all respects. The building is fire- proof and cost $40,000. Besides the regular sessions there is now being held the short course in agriculture and do- mestic science so that the school plant is serving the whole com. munity and adults as well as children are benefitted. The school is accredited at the Un- iversity of Illinois with 19 cred. its when but 15 are necessary. The prospects for the school are very encouraging. Its future will be watched with interest as it is the first Township High School to be established in Lo- gan county. The Board of Education is corn. posed of the following men: C. T. Anderson, President; O.W.! Mayer, Clerk; H. S. Buckles, Au- gust Unland, C. E. West, F. W. Meister and C. C. Munce. The instructors are: L. F. Full- wiler, principal; Marie Dean, Eva Perrin, J. P. Douglas and R. V. Lindsey. --Co. School Messenger. 12 Sections of Non-High VOTERS AUTHORIZE NEW ADDITION TO HIGH SCHOOL (lune 28, 1928) The voters of the Mount Pul- aski Township high school dis- trict at an election held thi: spring authorized the building of an addition to the high school building and the issuing of $20,000 bonds. Plans are now be- ing prepared for the improve- ment. The addition will be built this summer. The addition Will include 8 or 10 class rooms and a gymnasium-auditorium With seating capacity of about 1500 people. When this addition is complet- ed, Mount Pulaski will have a high school plant comparable with any high school building for a town of its size in this sec- tion of Illinois. --Lo. Co. School Messenger DEDICATED NEW (Aug. 28, 1947) When nobody appeared Wed- nesday, Aug. 20, offering objec. tions to the division of the re- maining non-high school territory in the Chestnut area, among Bea. son, Latham and Mount Pulaski high school districts, as suggested by the county school survey corn- (December 1929) H. S. ADDITION The Mount Pulaski Township NEW YEAR'S, 19o9 high school building pictured a- (February, 1929) bove, shows the new addition The new addition to the Mount which was erected last year at a Pulaski high school building is cost of about $.50,000. The origin- nearing completion. The work on al building was erected in 1912 the building had sufficiently pro- when the school had an enroll. gressed to permit dedicatory ex- ment of about 60 pupils. The en- ercises to be held in the large rollment has increased to 150 gymnasium-auditorium on New pupils and new departments of Year's Day. instruction have been added, The Mount Pulaski township thus it became necessary to en- high school orchestra provided large the building. music for the dedication exercis.' The new addition contains a es. C. W. Whitten, manager of] basement and two stories of the Illinois High School Athletic! classrms on the front side and Association, gave the dedicatory at the rear a gYmnasium-audi- address. He spoke on the place torium. On the basement floor of athletics in the educational are two large rooms for manual program. The address was very training and mechanical draw. appropriate for the occasion. Fol- ing and a boys' toilet and shower lowing the address, the Mount ., , Pulaski and Elkhart basketball teams engaged in a spirited game of basketball. ---Co. School Messenger Ine 20 Sections Added (May 1, 1947) Mount Pulaski Township High School District was enlarged on !Saturday by some 20 sections of land as the result of voting in non-high territory in the sur- rounding area. In the Cornland area where 15 sections of land were involved the vote was 29 to 0 in favor of: joining the Pulaski District, while in Chester where a half-mile strip along the south side of the township sought annexation, the vote was 9 to 1 For. The voters in Pulaski District voted 38 to 1 to approve the annexation. mittee, E. H. Lukenbill, super- I In Laenna township a small intendent of the Logan county lblock of non-high terri'tory which schools, approved the annexations] lies close to Mount Pulaski, vot- to the various dmtrlcts ed 15 to 9 a al  ." ." " . , g 'nstjoiningtheLa- Approximately 12 sections to  tham high school district. Latham Mount Pulaski, and one and a[voters approved it. half sections to Latham. Mr. Luk- | -- enbill will file maps with the GEO. SCHaI-IL SlaVES county clerk showing the revis- ions, and make up new maps 40 YEAI?u, AS DIRECTOR showing the boundary changes of (June, 1937) Logan county high school dist- George Schahl, who is retiring ricts, as school trustee in Mount Pul- li aski township, has served as a L4UGHERY SCHOOL school director and trustee for 40 PERFECT ATTENDANCE consecutive years. He began as director for the (February, 1915) French's Chapel School when 21 The Laughery School, near Mt. years of age and for the past 27 Pulaski, reports that the fourth years has been school trustee month of school was completed in Mount Pulaski township. with a perfect attendance re- In behalf of the citizens of cord. The school is to be con-] Mount Pulaski Township, we de- gratulated upon this achieve-sire to express our appreciation ment. Many of the school ills to Mr. Schahl and to thank him and disappointments would be for his 40 years of faithful ser- eliminated altogether if pupils vice to the cause of education. would attend regularly. --School Messenger ASSESSED VALUATION THEN AND NOW Assessed Valuation, Rate and Levy for school districts of Lo- gan County, Illinois, in 1914, were:-- No. District Name Assessed VaL Levy Rate 28 Mt. Pulaski Twp. High School $ 1,545,074 33 Mt. Pulaski Grade School 669,144 t 1560 VALUATION 33 Mr. Pulaski Grade School 23,000,000 room. On the first floor are two classrooms, a large sewing room, foods laboratory and dining room. On the second floor are two classrooms and two large rooms for bookkeeping and type- writing. The corridors and stair- ways are of terrazo and other fire-proof materials. The gymnasium . auditorium is one of the best in this section of the state. It Will seat 1000 to 1200 people. It is well construct- ed. Even the ceiling of the room was so constructed as to provide proper accoustm properties. A large stage has been provided. The gymnasium in the older part of the building has been utiliz- ed. In this the stage and dress- ing room were built. The new; addition was fitted onto the old- $ 10,000 $ .66 8,500 $1.30 $140,000 $ .55 120,000 .49 Horn fine Iw. -f'Z- part of the building successful manner mony and unity to structure. Mount a school plant which 'all of its school and needs. The board of had charge of the gram, included J. M. Rothwell, Wynd, secretary; John H. Tendick, John Hershey and The faculty for school year includeS, Hargis, Principal; D H. Beaver, George Grace E. Moore, I Helena Luther, Nel Dorothy Vose, Thelma Paul Merry. ity In these past 125 years the types of residences constructed in Mout Pulaski have changed greatly. We're helping Mount Pulaski keep pace with the newest trends by building fine homes that offer the ! in comfortable, modern living. Mount Pulaski is a fine city and a good place to live. We are proud to be a part of the community and offer our HEARTIEST CONGRATULATIONS ON THE CELEBRATION OF THE SIL-TENNIAL YEAR HASSEBROCK BROTHERS LOREN i!i