Newspaper Archive of
Times
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
Lyft
July 13, 1961     Times
PAGE 129     (129 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 129     (129 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 13, 1961
 

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




--.81L-TEITNIAL EDITION (T1m-NewL Mr. PulaaII:L nt) THURSDAY, JULY IS, 1961 TOWNSHIP PARK DISTRICT FORMED when some 70 youngsters were on hand for the morning and ater- IN 1945; HAS BEEN ACTIVE GROUP Cooperated With Tomlinson Trustees In Recreation Program. The Mount Pulaski Township Park District was formed Decem- ber 22, 1945, when the voters of the township in three areas ap- proved the formation. The first officers of the new district were John H. Tendick, president; H. J. Wible, vice presi- dent; and board members Fran- cis Myrick, A. W. SchaHenacker and Clyde Febus. The park board since its forma- tion has worked harmoniously with the Tomlinson Trustees, in- asmuch as both groups were striv- ing for the same objective--ree- reation. Many of the wishes expressed in Clarence Tomlinson's Will were carried out by the park board as he had suggested. While the Tomlinson trustees, George Rupp, T. A. Scroggin and H. J. Wible, purchased the old Beckman block north of the grade school in 1945 and put it in condition for use, the park board promoted and fi- nanced most of the activities that took place. This included sum- mer playground, out of town swim lessons each summer, and other activities. One of the reasons back of this procedure was to enable the trus- tees to accumulate enough money to erect suitable buildings on the block. As a result, an indoor swimming pool and community building for skating and dancing as well as a fine picnic area with tables, fireplace, swings and slides One of the highlights of the Tomlinson block in the early per- iod was the construction of a soft ball field, lighted for night play. Bleachers added to the comfort of the spectators and a broadcast- ing booth kept folks all over the city awake later than usual. The regular league play drew large crowds for several years. Comic ball games and donkey baseball drew hundreds to watch the an- ties of the players. Started Fireworks Displays The Fourth of July fireworks display that we now have each Fourth, started at the Recreation Center and continued for several years until the hazards of firing them made it necessary to move the display to the City Park. The new Tomlinson appointed following the resigna- tion of A. W. Schaffenacker, John Biesemeier and H. J. Wible, were Edd Dittus, Orville Downing and Ralph Blackburn. To them goes the credit for the fine indoor pool and community building that is giving so much pleasure to hun- dreds every week. They worked untiringly along with many oth- er volunteers to make the money stretch as far as possible. On February 14, 1959, the trustees deeded the pool and building over to the Township Park District :to maintain and operate. The pool was opened on Sun- day, Feb. 1, :t959 with the skat- ing rink opening on March 25 of the following year. Year-Round AcUviU The pool and skating rink are operated the year-round with a full time director, Bill Wheeler, who is assisted by a competent group of trained lifeguards. A number of interested persons have faithfully helped with the operation of the rink in order to save as much on expenses as possible until the buildings were fully complete. In the school months the pu- pils of the grades schools in the area take regular lessons with the boards of the schools paying for them. Schools participating have been Mount Pulaski, Zion Parochial, Lake Fork, Cornland and Beason. In the summer mon- ths a complete schedule for swim- ming lessons is maintained in the morning with open swimming in afternoons and evenings. The present park commissioners are: H. J. Wible, president; Otto Ey, vice president; Charles W. Hanslow, Vaughan Walch and Edd Dittus. Mrs. Dorothy Han- slow is secretary.treasurer, re- placing Mrs. Harold Hargrave who moved to Califoma. Mr. and Mrs. Wally Bertrang are the present custodians. FIRST SUMMER PLAYGROUND - 1947 (June 19, 1947) Mount Pulaski's first summer playground program got a w a y to a flying start Monday noon activities. Carroll Wood, high school coach, and Paul Hus- ton, grade school principal, di- rected the play of the various groups. Mrs. Florence Pinney will have supervision of the play of the girls during the summer and has planned a number of interesting as well as educational activities. TOMLINSON CENTER BUILDING DAMAGED BY FIRE IN 1952 I (Oct. 2. 19s2) j Fire breaking out in the base-I me-t of the Tomlinson Recre- z Remember The 'Good OI d Days?' REMEMBER back when a farmer would have to get up at 4 a.m,, go to the barn to feed his horses, and then come back to the house for his own breakfast? Then he'd go back to the barn, hitch-up the team, and be ready for a day of back-breaking labor guiding the plow. NOT SO TODAY. Mr. Farmer is able to eat a leisurely breakfast, knowing that his tractor will be ready to do his bidding the moment he touches the starter button. Other farm tasks are easier today with modern equipment, too, Modern implements and machinery make it possible for a man to handle large fields with less energy than it took his father or grand- father to work a small plot. WE TAKE PRIDE in bringing this modern ma- chinery to the farmers of this area, and in pro- riding the service to keep it in top condition. McOuil lan Implement DEALER FOR M-M, Oliver, New Idea and Kewanee ROUTE 121 MOUNT PULASKI ation Center building about 5 o'clock last Thursday evening, did considerable damage to the build- ing before the fire department got the blaze under control. The dam- age was estimated at approxi- mately $4,000 which is covered by insurance. Considerable smoke and water damage was done throughout the building in addition to the dam- age from blaze. Girl Scouts had valuable club material involved in the fire, moved everything out. BOY SCOUT HOME BUILT BY VOLUNTEERS (Feb. 2, 1905) The Bey Scouts of Mount Pul- aski will celebrate Boy Week by holding Open their new home at son Recreation Center, week of February 6 to The Boy Scout home, a splendidly built one building, situated on the west corner of the center, was made possible generosity of the trustees Clarence Tomlinson estate, contributed the cost of teriais, while several carpenters alternated in doing the carpentering laid the concrete poured the floor. were on hand in the the building. AN INVITATION TO VISIT Our Recreation Facilities THE MOUNT PULASKI TOWNSHIP PARK BOARD EXTENDS A CORDIAL INVITATION TO ALL VISITORS TO OUR CITY TO VISIT AND MAKE USE OF THE TOMLINSON RECRE- ATION CENTER FACILFIiES DURING THE SIL-TENNIAL AS WELL AS ALL OTHER TIMES. THE Recreation Center includes: an Indoor Swimming Pool for year-round usel a Roller Skating and Dancing Floor, also used on a year-round basis; and, a Picnic Grounds, complete with all facilities. At the picnic grounds you will find plenty of shade and good drinking water. THE official dedication ceremonies for these facilities will be a part of the Sil-Tennial Celebration activities, and this is an ideal time to express a word of appreciation to the many who have helped build and operate the recreation center. FIRST, a note of thanks to those who donated the many hours of volunteer labor that went into the construction of the buildings. There were so many it would be impossible to list them here without missing someone deserving of credit. A word of thanks should also go to those who made the cash contributions that enabled the Park Board to complete the Pool Building and Skating Rink ANOTHER bouquet of thanks goes to the many who have given of their services without remuneration to help handle the various activities at the rink as well as vt the pool. THE Park Board appreciates the confidence placed in them by the Tomlinson Estate Trustees in deeding the buildings to the Park District, to be maintained and operated to the bene- fit of the entire community in a way that would be a credit to Mr. Tomlinson's memory. WE are certain every Mount Pulaski Township resident takes pride in these facilities and shares with us in these words ot appreciation. Youth Day and Dedication Day, July 25th MOUNT PU L AS KI TOWNS HI P PARK BOARD PARK BOARD COMMISSIONERS---H. J. Wible. President; OttO I' Vice-President; Chas. W. Hanslow, Edd Dittus, Vaughn Walcls. Chas. W. Hansiow, Secretary-Treasurer.