Newspaper Archive of
Times
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
Lyft
July 13, 1961     Times
PAGE 127     (127 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 127     (127 of 174 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 13, 1961
 

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




SIL.TENNIAL EDITION, (Times.News, Mt. Pulmfl Ill.) THURSDAY, JULY C. Tomlinson Wills Fortune To Commu " 7 ? \\; Generous Gif00 Of Entire Por00une Showed His Love For Communi00f 265 Acres of Farm Land Given To CI.rnc A. Community Forever ('= "') / li00'om'-nson The finest bit of news that has ever come into this community filing of the will of Clarence Tomlinson, who left his estate valued at $48,000 to Mount Pu- laski and community to be used for community welfare. I Services Held In creating a perpetual trust fund, the income of which is to I At Schahl Funeral be spent within the confines of Home Sunday Mount Pulaski township, three trustees were appointed: George Rupp, now president of +.he First National Bank, Thomas A. Scrog- gin, president of The Farmers Bank, and Robert Aitchison, Sr., deceased, who was president of the First National at the time the will was drawn up. Under provisions of the will in the event a vacancy occurs a- mong the trustees, a successor is to be appointed by the circuit court. Particularly heartening to the community which has been with- out an adequate building avail- able for community activities, was the specific designation of a public center building as well as several other very much worthwhile community activities that coordinate with each other, namely: Funds are to be used to pro- mote the general social and cul- tural growth of the community; public librarie.s; public parks; public playgrounds; child wel- fare work; public center building and development of choral mus- ic in the community. The will disposes of property consisting of personal property valued at $8,000, and real es- tate valued at $40,000, which in- cludes about 265 acres of farm land. ! George Rupp was named as ex- I ecutor. Elmer Tomlinson, a brothel is left the home place of 40 acres east of Mount Pulaski, and per- sonal effects in the home for his lifetime after which they revert to the perpetual fund estate. While Mr. Tomlinson was well- known throughout the commun- ity for generosity to various or- ganizations, the full extent of his interest in the welfare of his j community was not realized un- til the contents of the will were! disclosed. Aided Organizations During his lifetime he made generous donations to the St. John's, Christian and Methodist churches, which enabled them to install pipe organs. The Mount Pulaski library and Lincoln Col- lege library have both been re- cipients of his unselfishness as well as many needy families who have been aided by this silent philanthropic man. Mount Pulaski and community owe a deep responsibility to Mr. Clarence Tomlinson, and may we meet it to the fullest. The will was filed for probate by Attorney George J. Smith, in Lincoln, Tuesday. TOMLINSON FUNDS BUILT SCOUT HOUSE One of the contributions of the Tomlinson Estate to the youth of the community was furnishing $2,000.00 tO buy materials with which to construct a Boy Scout home. This building was situated on the northwest corner of the Tom. linson Recreation Center and was erected by volunteer labor from the community. It was a one. room building of good size.. The Scouts made considerable use of it for some years, then Scouting began to falter, and not too much use was made, and the building was sold to the Mount Pulaski Township high school when room was needed for the new indoor swimming pool at the Recreation Center. (Jcmucn 9, 1941) Clarence Albert Tomlinson, a lifelong resident of Mount Pul- aski township, and well-known throughout Logan county, who had been in failing health for many months, died at 12:35 p.m., Friday, Jan. 3, 1941, in the Dea- coness Hospital, Lincoln, where he had been taken in the Schahl ambulance on Tuesday, the last: day of the year 1940. He was aged 71 years, 10 months and 15 days. Mr. Tomlinson was born on a farm two miles east of Mount Pulaski, Feb. 18, 1869, and spent his entire life on the old home place. His parents were John Milton and Mary E. Riddle Tom- linson, who were married in 1859 and located east of Mount Pul- aski before the Civil War. His parents, two sisters, Helen and ,Mabel Irene, and one brother, !Frank L. Tomlinson, preceded him in death. Decedent is survived by one brother, Elmer, with whom he maintained bachelor quarters at home for many years. He. leaves several cousins and other rel- atives. Mr. Tomlinson was very suc- cessful in his chosen occupation, and became well to do. He was well and favorably know for his charitable work in this commun- ity, and in his quiet and unas- suming way gave away large sums of money where he thought it would do the most good. A- mong those receiving substantial amounts through his sincere kindness were the Methodist, Christian and St. John's Church- es in Mount Pulaski, at the time when the congregations were in- stalling pipe organs; the Mount Pulaski Library was also liber- ally remembered; and it was an- nounced that the Lincoln Col- lege library received a large sum from Mr. Tomlinson, only recent- ly. His kindness to needy families and children was also another evidence of his thoughtfulness. For several years he outfitted small boys and girls of grade school age with warm clothing in the winter months, and there- by encouraged them in securing an education. And he will always l be remembered for this greatly OLD HOMESTEAD OF MOUNT PULASKI TOWNSHIP BENEFACTOR Block Purchased In 1945 For Park, Playground and Buildings Tomlinson Recreation Center Proves Popular Spot One of the most far-reaching and important acts of the Tom- linson Estate Trustees, was the purchasing of the block of ground owned by Mrs. Carrie Baker, north of the grade school for a playground, in 1945. The wisdom of that first major transaction of the trustees in starting to build toward the ful- fillment of the wishes of the late Clarence A. Tomlinson, becomes more and more apparent each year. When the block, which includ- ed a house, was bought for a price of $7000 in 1945, there were a few eyebrows raised as to the appreciated help, by a large number of people. In fact, he was only one among a few who found great joy in helping others, a most commendable trait. The remains were removed to the Schahl funeral home in this city, where funeral services were held at 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 5, conducted by Rev. F. E. Neumey- er, pastor of the Methodist Chur- ch. Mrs. G. F. Wait played two selections, "Oh Holy Ground" and "Love Divine," transcription of the hymn. The services were largely attended. Interment was made in Mount Pulaski ceme- tery. The pallbearers were: Chris Beck, Clifford Lindsay, Frank Beers, Herbert Schaffenacker William Leimbach and Clifford Aughenbaugh. price being too high. Subsequent events have proven that it was an exceptionally good buy. The area was covered with trees, shrubbery-, old wells, wind- mill, barn, outbuildings, wire fences and a heavy growth that made it impossible to see from one side of the block to the oth- er. When possession was gained a few month later, Vic DeBoice headed a crew of workers who cleaned the premises up, after weeks of hard labor. Wells were filled up, trees and shrubbery uprooted and burned. John Tendick was a big help with the bigger trees, bringing his steam engine in. Bill Koehler was called in to blast some of the old cottonwood trees and stumps on the east side of the block, using dynamite that threw dirt on top of adjoining homes and causing some mental an- guish, but no damage. The wonderful shade trees, many of them of unusual species and size, still afford fine shade for the many family reunions, and the summer playground held there. The house on the block was put in a good state of repair and made into a small community building. Two rooms were furn- ished for the Girl Scouts, making it an ideal home for them. The remainder of the building was converted into an as.embly room and equipped kitchen, available for meetings and gatherings of all kinds. Fire destroyed the house a few years later. CLARENCE TOMLINSON EAST OF CITY REFLECTIO The F.tol (Jan. 11, 1941) Today, and in the Mount Pulaski and should pay tribute to a citizen, deceased. A man who .of evidence of his his fellowmen during time With generous gifts trtbuttons to churches, ations and youngsters, But az further sincerity of his desire to the surroundings of his men, Left his entire very things that have greatly needed in this try. To realize now that man who performed his thropic deeds so so little show, Hod sensed the community so provided for it so Cannot but bring a of humility and a gret that one had not such a personality to As we meditate splendid contribution, we but feel thor no fin could be paid this and its citizenry Than the man as they were the will: 'Fhat the funds be mote the general rural growth of the ity; "Public libraries; public playgrounds; fare; Public center velopment of choral community." It is nple evidence man loved his was proud of it. To the trustees go responsibility of only the letter of this philanthropist But, above alL it to strive that the motive beck of man's wishes be to the greatest While it is to be this nognnJmous be here to witness ing of his community, We =m thinkot ring tribute to the Clarence Tomlinsom Whose love for cd)ounded with osity, Tha dren's Part,/ honor, Which would happiness to s ters But as they manhood and Would cultivate deeper sense of the cnms ed them in Ltse were made seHlsh Mr. Clazenco We cn think ute to any "He did not Uye The world is a and gives back the reflection of Frown at it, and look sourly it and with it kind companion-