Newspaper Archive of
Times
Mt. Pulaski , Illinois
Lyft
March 4, 2013     Times
PAGE 8     (8 of 24 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 8     (8 of 24 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
March 4, 2013
 

Newspaper Archive of Times produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




HANDYMAN SERVICE Fully Insured Painting Small Repairs Other Handyman Jobs Larry L Conaway Jr 217-737-4133 615 S Spring St'- Mt Pulaski V0nderlieth Living Center Age Groups Toddlers - 2 & 3 year olds Preschool - 4 & 5 yearolds Kindergarten & Ist Grades 2nd & 3rd Grades & 4th & 5th Grades Sat. April 6 @ 10Am Brought to the children by Vonderlieth Living Center & Mt PulaSki Jaycees O P IO O Your neighbors at Downing, Przykopanski, Clements, & May Insurance - 3eft Clements and Pat Przykopanski, from front- Deb Fuhrer, Kathy Letterle and "after-school helper"-Emma Stewart. Local Insurance Agency Reflects History of Insurance.in Mt. Pulaski By Mike Lakin : Times Photo Downing, Przykopanski, Clements, & May, surance Agency has a continuous history in the city of Mount Pulaski, start- ing in 1909 with Ennis Downing. When Ennis Downing started in the insurance business in 1909 he was.a farm agent. According to an article written by the late Gene Downing, the Downing agency wrote only fire insurance in 1909. As years passed, the Downing Agency kept up with the times, adding windstorm insurance and then hail coverage insur- ance. Gene wrote, ".,. people were not often sued for their mistakes, so liability insur- ance was not needed. Automobiles were few and their hazards respected, so they were not usually insured." In 1955 Gene Downing purchased the agency. From the mid-1950s until 1963, the agency was located on the south side of the Mount Pulaski Square. In 1963 the agency office was moved to the current location of the Downing, Przykopanski, Clements, and May Insurance Agency. That's 50-years of business in the same location and 104-years in business in Mount Pulaski. From a trivia standpoint, firmly :anchored in the office, is a safe from the 1909 era when the agency began. Still in working order, the Mt. Pulaski Coal Mining Company originally owned the safe. Fortunately, it hasn't had to be moved often. In 1975, Gene incorporated the agency with the late Dee Buckles. The.agency name was changed to Downing & Buck- les. When Dee Buckles passed away in 1982, Jeff Clements joined the agency. In 1985 the agency became the Downing & Clements Insurance Agency. Gene retired from the agency in 1989. Pat Przykopanski joined the Robert May Insurance Agency in 1982. In 1988 Downing & Clements and Pat Przykopan- skiincorporated their agencies into Down- ing, Przykopanski, Clements, and May Insurance Agency. Through the years, subsidiary insur- ance agencie have been incorporated into the agency. In 2004 the Potter Insurance Agency of Latham became a subsidiary. In 2007 Moriearty Insurance of Lincoln and in 2011 Harris-Hodnett Insurance of